Menu
Wuxi people are thirsty?!!
Jun 1, 2007 04:58
Someone says something is wrong with the Taihu Lake in wuxi and people have no water to drink/wash. Is it true? How does it happen? Impossible to imagine.
Jun 1, 2007 09:51
  • APAULT
How does it happen? Overexploitation of the earth, global warming, call it what you will.
Jun 2, 2007 03:27
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
According to the news reports, a low water level in Tai Hu caused by long, hot temperatures and below average rainfall has resulted in an abnormally high concentration of nutrients, causing a bloom of blue-green algae. I saw it on CCTV 新闻's report at midday today, and the lake's "water" is simply revolting.

And yes, Paul, overexploitation of the Earth is undoubtedly playing a huge role in this. But not global warming, not in this case. Blooms of blue-green algae are common to many water systems with a surplus of nutrients. Often the surplus of nutrients is caused by agricultural run-off- basically, all the extra fertilizer sprayed by farmers finds its way into rivers, lakes and the sea, feeding the blue-green algae, which causes the bloom. Sewage also often contributes. In the case of Tai Hu this time round, an unfortunate turn in the weather has aggravated the problem.
Jun 3, 2007 04:58
  • MENG
Today, it is reported that the drinking water of Wuxi has been pured now. The water now is safe and clear for drinking. Well, the local people's life has gotten right!
Jun 3, 2007 19:45
  • KEVIN0518
Glad to hear this. The locals' life has gotten right.
Jun 3, 2007 20:06
I was worried about them~~~ :)
Jun 4, 2007 04:14
  • APAULT
But unfortunately, I suspect the problem has only been resolved in the short term. With some (government?) investment they might keep the nutrients out, and with some policies to limit the amount of water abstracted (taken out) for farming, industry etc the issue might be contained for a while. is likely to ensure the rainfall stays low.

Sorry Chris but I think global warming is part of it: But global warming is restricting the rainfall in this area, so the concentration of nutrients is higher and its harder to supply the growing demand.

In Australia it's a combination of these three factors.
Jun 6, 2007 01:35
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
Paul, these algal blooms will happen with or without global warming. I would agree that global warming is quite likely a contributing factor, but as an Aussie you likely know that droughts happen regardless of the average temperature of the Earth. You can't pin the blame for one single event on global warming.

Anyway, the prime cause is the surplus of nutrients.
Jun 6, 2007 19:38
  • ZOEY
China's environment is worsening. It is said that algal blooms may happen in Chaohu Lake. That is very bad.
Post a Reply to: Wuxi people are thirsty?!!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code