Menu
New member to the expat club
Jun 3, 2007 18:15
  • SPIKYFRUIT
A hearty hello to you all. Thoroughly enjoying all of this community's threads (especially the ones about food!) Just wanted to know if there are any other recent or soon-to-be Westerners-in-China. I'm moving to Guangzhou in August and would appreciate any and all advice from the veterans, as well as any commiserating from fellow novices.
Cheers :)

I'll start:
Complaint #1: All email takes 3 weeks for a response
Excitement #1: Learning Mandarin is great! The characters are very difficult, but the grammar makes much more sense than English.
Question #1: Anyplace where I can find a GOOD map of Guangzhou, or shall I wait and get one when I arrive?
Jun 4, 2007 09:24
  • APAULT
If you mean Chinese business contacts are slow to reply unless it is urgent for them...yes that can be a problem. If u mean as a technical problem, that is not normal at all.

It is not always easy to get a map for most cities in English, so if you can get one it is probably a good investment.
Jun 4, 2007 09:26
  • JABAROOTOO
Whose emails???
Not all grammer makes more sense than english. Just hwen you thought yu had it nailed, you learn an exception. Huughhhh
Get a map when you arrive. Should be able to pick it up at the airport or on the street

You'll find there is a good expat community there but like all things takes a little while to develop a new network of friends

Welcome to China and the forum. I have a friend moving to GZ in July too.
Jul 2, 2007 12:55
  • SPIKYFRUIT
yes, but after six months teaching english, i'm now more confused by my native laguage than anything else.

thanks for the tips.
Jul 2, 2007 13:01
  • SPIKYFRUIT
oh, it's the contact for the school i'll be working at.
a bit of an exaggeration. sometimes it is only two weeks. ;)

my friend david (lives in macao, moving to the mainland soon) also pointed out to me that not everybody emails all day everyday like he and i do. my bildungsroman will be called "the internet generation meets the world".
Post a Reply to: New member to the expat club
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code