Menu
Qibao - Is it worth a day?
Jun 3, 2007 19:32
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
Situated outside of Shanghai, Qibao is described as an "ancient city" but now I think it is probably renovated and turned into a tourist area. Is there a lot of the old still preserved and and not turned into one big shopping and souvenir shop? Is there an entry fee? Is it worth a day's visit? Thanks in advance.

理查

Jun 3, 2007 20:55
  • JLEE0
hi RICK,
i'm in shanghai, qibao used to be a ancient town, but as time past it changed into something else. i don't think it worth a visit. nothing special left.
if you wanna see something, i suggest "zhouzhuang" (周庄), it's a town of water. and it's somekind of old style.
not bad.
Jun 3, 2007 21:02
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
Hello JLEE0,

Thank you for confirming my thoughts about Qibao. Also, thank you very much for the alternative recommendation of Zhouzhuang. Is it a long way to Zhouzhuang? How is the best way to get there?

理查 Rick

Jun 3, 2007 22:41
  • MAY001
But I've heard that zhouzhuang is too commercial now.

Anyway, no tourist destination can avoid commercialize.
Jun 4, 2007 00:09
  • JLEE0
Hi RICK,
are you already in shanghai ?
from shanghai to zhouzhuang cost 1~2 hours.
not so far.

and MAY, if zhouzhuang is commercial, qibao can be no batter. it's a town inside shanghai city, it can not stay the way it were.

and RICK, about the way to zhouzhuang, you can take a car. about one and half an hour, 2 at most.

where you live? the time spend on the way depends on the place you start your journey.
you know shanghai is a big city, it takes even more than 1 hour to travel from east to west
Jun 4, 2007 00:15
  • JLEE0
and another water town is called "zhu jia jiao", nearer, cheaper than zhouzhuang, but similar view.
just feel the town and the water ,no need to spend your money and time in the exhibition room.
it's also a good place.
Jun 4, 2007 09:54
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
Hello JLEE0

My tour ends in Shanghai and we have a few days left in Shanghai before we travel back home. We will be staying near Jiu Jiang Road. Zhouzhuang also looks interesting for a visit. 谢谢!

理查 Rick

Jun 4, 2007 10:01
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes Rick,
There are several 'water towns' in the same vicinity that are worth visiting. Zhuozhaung which I visited breifley a few years back was pretty, small and a typically commercial butI still think worth the visit. A day trip from Shanghai or Suzhou. But Lemoncactus has a reivew on another of these old towns. Check it out too. There are probably others that are not on the tourist list yet but you will need someone who is a bit clued up to take you there.

Good luck
Jun 27, 2007 05:05
  • ELLYSE
Neither Qibao nor Zhouzhuang are worth visiting. I would suggest Tongli (http://www.tongli.net) or Luzhi (http://www.luzhi.cn) instead.
Post a Reply to: Qibao - Is it worth a day?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code