Menu
Changing Visa from Single Entry to Double Entry While In China?
Jun 5, 2007 05:38
  • ALEXLUKEN
My daughter is currently traveling in China with a university group. They are going to part ways next week, with the group returning home, and my daughter staying in China with a friend she met in Boston who is working as an English interpreter for a business a business in Shanghai. My daughter is in China on a single-entry F visa.

The problem is, her friend needs to go to Hong Kong in order to have her work visa renewed. If my daughter leaves China to go into Hong Kong, she will not be able to re-enter and will miss her flight home out of Shanghai.

Does anyone know how difficult is it to have an existing visa changed, where does one go in Shanghai to have this done, how long does it take, and what sort of cost is involved? She doesn't need a time extension-- she has a 70 day stay, which is well past her return date.

Thank you in advance for any help offered?

Jun 5, 2007 06:44
  • JABAROOTOO
PSB in Shanghai can issue extensions/re-entry of visas which can take around 5 working days. Not too expensive but this depends. You daughters friend should know where the nearest PSB is. She should have been there before.
Jun 5, 2007 09:19
  • APAULT
She should apply asap so that if it is not granted (a possibility - I only got 7 days in my case) there is time to go to HK/Macau and get a new visa.

The PSB office u must go to is in Pudong, near the big park... abit hard to find, take a motorbike ride. Once there go upstairs get a numbered ticket and fill out a form. If she hasnt got photos get them downstairs first. The staff handling visas there speak Engl.
Aug 11, 2007 07:25
  • BLUEYANKEE44
You have it changed in Hong Kong,in one day.
Aug 13, 2007 02:05
  • APAULT
Blueyankee.. are you sure you can CHANGE a visa? I don't believe it is possible... but of course she can apply for and USUALLY get a new visa in HK (we had one case quoted in here where someone was denied a new tourist visa in HK but had left all his belongings in Sichuan)
Dec 14, 2007 03:58
GUEST24189 I was faced with this problem and had a chinese employee of a friends company call the PSB to speak to them. Basically the only visa that can be *Changed* is a Business Visa, not a tourist visa.

I was told my only option was to re-apply after leaving the country (in my case Thailand) for another tourist visa.

I was also told that unless you are on buisness or have visited china before, it is unusual to be granted a multi-entry visa- although I am unsure what the truth of that is.

Dec 16, 2007 10:54
  • APAULT
I haven't heard that restriction on multi-entry before, no-one has mentioned it in here. My first visa (L) was dual entry - not multi.

Anyone had one or been refused?
Post a Reply to: Changing Visa from Single Entry to Double Entry While In China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code