Menu
Tips on Huangshan?
Jun 6, 2007 03:49
  • GUAIRU
Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Huangshan on my one and I wonder if anyone has some tips on what a should think about. I would like to stay the night on the summit, but then it means that I need to carry my big backpack while doing the climbing. Do You think it's possible to do that (I want get crooked and fall down during the way?) or is there any chance of leaving the backpack somewhere in the village during the day I'm up on Huangshan?

My Lonely Planet says that I should bring appropriate clothing, it's just don't say what that is. I'm going to Huangshan in the end of june, any tips on what to bring and to wear?

Thank you for any tip or idea on how to make my visit better!
Jun 6, 2007 20:23
  • ZOEY
Staying on the summit is a good choice. You can appreciate the sunrise. Remember to bring some thick chothes. At night the temperature is low. Or you can rent a coat on the mountain.

For climbing, you should carry less luggage because it will consume more energy.
Jun 7, 2007 03:02
  • GUAIRU
Thank you Zoey!

I thought it was a good idea to leave the big backpack on the ground. Anyone who knows a place where I could leave my backpack knowing that it will still be there when I come back? (I had som bad experience with getting my things stolen in China)

/GuAiRu
Jun 7, 2007 22:46
  • ZOEY
You are welcome.

Well, maybe you can leave your backpack at the hostels on the mountain. I guess you need pay for it.

Remember not to leave valuables in your backpack.
Jun 7, 2007 23:16
  • JLEE0
hey GuAiRu
i have been to huangshan, and i have a few suggestions:
1.never leave anything anywhere out of your sight.

2.surely you wanna stay one(at least one) night on the summit, and as i remebered there was a hotel, you can spent ight there. and when you sleep, do not forget tip 1.

3.if you wanna see the sunrise(believe me you do) you have to get up early, about 5~6, with cold air(always cold air in mountain in the morning). it need not to be too thick, just one cloth with long sleeves.

4.the bag need not to be too large, you won't change your clothes there, only some food and drink.

5.the food and drink is very expensive on the peak, a bottle of cola(750ml) may cost 15 RMB. so maybe you wanna take some drink. if you do not care for money, that's ok
Jun 10, 2007 16:09
  • FAISAL
hi Jleeo

you have lot of Information. Very kind advice.

Be well

Faisal
Jun 11, 2007 17:36
  • PUBLIUS
I just went to Huangshan two weekends ago and here are some tips:
1. Backback--How much clothes you bring depends on where you are going before and after the hike and what your personal comfort level is. When I went, I stayed for three days, kept the same shorts, wore two shirts, and had my anarak raincoat. Besides that I took a rather large pleasure book, had my dictionary, and my personal items. I was fine carrying my backpack and I hiked EVERY trail.

2. There are many hotels at the summit. I stayed at a three-bunk room for 260 RMB (my bunkmate paid 200) near the Damo Cliff between the North Sea Area and the Cloud Dispelling viewing area (the best area IMO to view the mountains dissappear and reappear in the mist).

3. Go up the West side of the mountain and don't miss the Heavenly City Peak, it's fantastic, and go down the east side since it's straight down.

4. Park Entrance fee is 200 RMB, the min--bus right outside of the Railway Station was 12 RMB, the bus from the front gate to the staging area on the east was 9 RMB, the return bus on the east was 14 RMB, and all food and drink gets more expensive towards the top, so buy your supplies near the trainstation or at the bottom of the summitt. Also, be wary of the peddlars, taxi drivers, mini-bus drivers because they will try to rip you off. They're aggressive at Huangshan. Also, be prepared to wait at the minibus since they leave only when it is full.

Besides that, have fun, bring lots of memory space on your camera and take care of yourself.
Jun 11, 2007 17:49
  • PUBLIUS
Also, I've posted a few of my pics on this site: http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12094&st=0&start=0

Jun 12, 2007 00:42
  • GUAIRU
Thank you all for your advices and all the information!

Publius, what did you do with the things you didn't bring to the mountain? Did you leave it at a hostel? In that case, which one?

Once again, thank you!
Post a Reply to: Tips on Huangshan?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code