Menu
Electronic Translator Needed?
Jun 11, 2007 00:06
  • REBEL5
Hey! I'm traveling to China in October for about a month and I was wondering if anyone who has been to China before would reccomend buying a handheld translator before going over or not? (I speak very little chinese)

Thanks for your help!
Jun 11, 2007 00:45
  • CHRISWAUGHBJ
If you're going to buy one, buy it in your home country and make sure it is suitable for your use. Electronic translators in China are geared towards Chinese students of English and therefore all but useless for your needs.

But I have to ask: why? There are many decent phrasebooks which may well be more suitable for a traveller.
Jun 11, 2007 05:09
  • CCELEVEN
it's good way to help u travel in china more easier..

Im live in china..
so if u need some help..
add my MSN.
hotmail.com|cclovehot
Jun 11, 2007 19:35
  • LAO3HAN4RICK
I suggest taking a basic phrase book. Or you can purchase a tour book that contains a section of common words and phrases.

If you also enjoy the culture, people and travel in China, I suggest you enroll in a basic course in Mandarin. I just completed my first semester at college :-) I am 60 years old and and never too old to learn. I love Chinese culture and most of all the people. 我喜欢中国吃饭!(I like Chinese food!). (Hope I said that right!). Happy travels!

理查 Rick

Jun 11, 2007 19:58
  • KEVIN0518
Rick, it should be 我喜欢吃中国饭! ( I like Chinese food!)
Jun 13, 2007 16:52
  • GRIZ326
BBK makes calculator sized electronic dictionary for about $100 USD. I used it on my trip last year and it was some what helpful. LIMITATION: #1 - one word at a time; #2 - Not all Chinese people know pinyin so if they do not know pinyin they can not "speak" back to you.

Pleco makes a translation tool for the Palm and PocketPCs. It allows you to look up words in English and a Chinese person to write in a character to translate for you. LIMITATION: #1 - one word at a time; #2 - cost.

Wenlin for Windows. If you are going to carry a laptop this is very similar to Pleco, except entering characters by mouse is challenging.

Also for the PC:

Transwhiz - Can translate complete documents or sentences at one time.

Doctor Eyes - Can translate complete documents or sentences at one time.

If you have one of those new UMPCs, the Transwhiz or Doctor Eyes would be very useful because characters could be written onto the tablet and translated.

I've never had much luck with phrase books, but if you find a small one it is worth the carry weight and size.
Jun 15, 2007 23:22
  • DANCER50
Where are you travelling from? and where are you going in China? And why are you going there?
Post a Reply to: Electronic Translator Needed?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code