Menu
Stop fussing!
Jun 11, 2007 03:58
  • KEVIN0518
Recently, a piece of news has aroused heated discussions.

A graduate student from Qinghua University was employed by a university in Zhengzhou and became a lecturer. However, the university did not keep their promise to offer her an apartment. Because of this and some other reasons, she left the school. But the university asked her to pay the penal sum. To maintain her life, she started to sell some vegetables. She speaks English when telling the price. This aroused local's attention.

Someone said that she should not sell vegatables. That is really a shame for a student graduated from a celebrated university.

This reminded of another story. A report said that a graduate from Peking University has sold porks for a long time. Because he did not find a job after graduation. People also hold negative opinions toward him.

Personally, I think that those who think that selling vegatables or porks is a shame for them should stop criticizing. Everyone has his or her own life. No matter they graduate from Qinghua or Beijing University or not, they are the same with us. They need to maintain their living. People have their right to choose how to make their living.

Any comments? Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Jun 11, 2007 09:22
  • CCELEVEN
and I will graduated this year from my college...

so ..I just think
it's really not difficule to have a job.
but
it's really difficule to have a good job which u liked..and intrestied...

sell the porks and vegatables would not be any pepole which graduated from
a good university...
but something in life
makes them like this way of living

(my english was so poor...sorry for my mistakes)
Jun 11, 2007 14:40
  • GRIZ326
If these two people selling vegetables and pork really want to be working in their field of study, it must be a great disappointment to them. English speakers may say something like "Isn't that a shame..." in just such a case. In that context the word shame does not mean shameful or disgraceful; it means unfortunate. Perhaps that is what these people meant with their comments. Could that be?

I agree with you that everyone has a need and right to make a living. And I believe that while well educated people may have great esteem associated with their work, their job is no more important than the job of the ditch digger or the garbage collector. Each person must do their part and not be a burden on society.

IMO, these two people are doing the honorable thing whether it be a job taken by choice or a job taken because of a disappointment.
Jun 11, 2007 17:50
  • CHYNAGYRL
One winter, I saw two homeless people sleeping on a street in downtown Toronto. One of them was wearing a leather jacket from my alma mater, U of Waterloo. My school was ranked most innovative, best comprehensive university in Canada for many years so this struck me as ridiculous! Graduating from a good school is one thing, but it doesn't guarantee you a job... :-( They call it being over-educated... like having a Masters in English from Harvard and making $10 an hour as a cashier in a bookstore.
Jun 11, 2007 20:25
  • ZOEY
Chynagyal, maybe someone who graduated from your alma mater sent them the clothes because they were homeless and poor.

Being over-educated. To some degree, I agree with you. At present, there are many masters in China. It is also hard for them to find a good job. On the other hand, it has something with themselves. The girl who sell vegatables told the journalists that she took this as "action art". It is said that she studys arts. She finished a provincial project and a national key project related to Arts and decided to go on her futher education-getting the Doctor Degree.

From these, we notice that she is a optimistic and persistent. Hope everything will be ok in her future.
Post a Reply to: Stop fussing!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code