Menu
Emei Shan wildlife & just how many km to top?
Jun 11, 2007 14:26
  • GRIZ326
I'm still planning for Emei Shan. Two questions:

#1:

Google searches indicate that there are monkeys and panda bear in the mountain's forest. In my experience, when there is a large population of something there is also a predator around to control the population. Does Emei Shan have lions or tigers around?

That's one of those "nice to know" pieces of information, just in case I find myself stuck in the forest for the night.

#2:

How many kilometers is it to the top of Emei Shan? I've seen numbers as low as 3 kilometers to as high as 60 kilometers.

My suspicion is that it has to do with where you begin your climb. I'd like to be up and down the mountain in 2 days. I do not believe I'd get the full appreciation of the mountain going up and down in a single day.

Recommendations appreciated.
Jun 11, 2007 20:08
  • STOCKTOV
Hi Griz,
I just got back from a trip to Emei Shan.

Your questions are difficult to answer. First of all, Emei Shan is HUGE. Really, truly monstrous. There are a few different parking lots from where you can start your climb and each of those starting points takes a winding, variable route, which you can pick and choose as you go depending on which temples, monasteries, pavilions, reserves and natural attractions you want to see. Because there are so many different pathways and they are sprawled out all over the mountain, it's difficult to tell you how many kms your hike will be. I can tell you that you will gain anywhere from 2000 to 3000 km in altitude during your hike (bottom to top).

If you are aiming for the top, you will most definitely need two days. There are places you can sleep along the way, don't worry about being stuck outdoors. You can sleep outdoors if you choose, but there are people (and things) living all over the mountain so it would be a bit weird I think. I wouldn't be so worried about animals as I would about locals (or non-locals) harassing you in your sleep. They may find you laying there and try to get you up and come sleep in their home or something; the less well-intentioned of those might try to rob you (I'm not speaking from experience, I'm just speculating based on the number of people on the mountain every day).

As far as the animals go: you probably won't encounter a large number of wild animals. The monkeys are generally kept in a reserve (which I'm sure you will have interesting opinions about once you witness what goes on there--or maybe you won't...I don't know your opinions on the treatment of animals). I didn't see any pandas there, but maybe I just wasn't in the right spot. There are signs to beware of monkeys along the trails, but I never encountered any outside of the reserve.

And about tour guides...I have seen/ "used" a number of different tour guides. It seems that many tour guides, especially if you are in a large group (like I sometimes am with my school) will get on your bus, talk some crap, get you off the bus, give a 15 second spiel about the place, tell you where to meet and when after you've finished seeing the place, and then they'll get dropped off by the bus when they're done. I have witnessed a good number of wholly incompetent, poor-planning, intellectually deficient tour guides, (though I have also had my share of very very good ones) so your speculations about the women tour guides may (or may not) be correct. They may think they can take you around because they are Chinese and from the area and because you're a foreigner and a man they'll think you are wealthy and will give them a lot of money. But not all are like that--some are very professional. It's up to you to figure out how to separate the goodies from the baddies.
Jun 11, 2007 23:16
  • GRIZ326
Thanks Stocktov. IMO it would be rare to actually see a bear (a panda) on the mountain unless you were far off the beaten path (if in fact t they are there); the monkeys are probably dormant at night; my concern is cats (and to a less extent bear) - who knows what they might do at night. Of course, the most dangerous mammal is a 2 legged critter...so your speculations are probably prudent observations.
  • GRIZ326
Thanks Stocktov. IMO it would be rare to actually see a bear (a panda) on the mountain unless you were far off the beaten path (if in fact t they are there); the monkeys are probably dormant at night; my concern is cats (and to a less extent bear) - who knows what they might do at night. Of course, the most dangerous mammal is a 2 legged critter...so your speculations are probably prudent observations.
  • GRIZ326
Post a Reply to: Emei Shan wildlife & just how many km to top?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code