Menu
How do you think of China's college entrance examination?
Jun 11, 2007 23:05
  • ZOEY
This year, about 10 million students took part in CEE. Although the exam is over, parents and their kids are still busy in estimating the scores, consulting, choosing the colleges.

Some people complain about they CEE. They think it is not reasonable. Students' destinies should not be decided by the exams. CCE needs reform.

I just wonder how the foreigners think of the College Entrance Examination? Once a report revealed that some foreigners think that taking part in CCE is like participating a war. Do you agree or not?

Jun 12, 2007 00:24
  • WINDENERGY
Thanks, ZOEY, I was thinking about starting a thread about the same subject...the CCE.

I believe that this testing system is the FAIREST and MOST PRACTICAL way to evaluate a student's ability to perform well in college. It is easy to be critical of a set standard, especially if you are one of the students, (or parents of students) who didn't score well enough to be accepted into any college. However, as a measure of students' attitude and aptitude, this testing method has been proven time and again.

It would be nice to realize a perfect society and a perfect world. But, let's face it, we don't live in a perfect world. In the city where I teach the classroom sizes range from 50-75 students. The issue of birth control and the fact that there are just too many potential students to meet the college's capacity weigh into a comprehensive CCE examination. Student's already know about competition and "supply and demand" at the Middle School age. Yet, the attitude of most of my Middle School students is very uninvolved and non-chalant. That's fine for them, if they are seeking to join the Chinese labor force in their future.

For the relatively few Chinese students that do apply themselves to learning and seek to improve their lives by attending college, they will most likely perform well on the CEE and be admitted into a college. What I believe should be questioned about China's educational system is the demand that students begin each school day before 7:00 a.m. and don't finish schooling until after 9:00 p.m. That's simply too long to sit through a series of 40-45 minute classes and absorb the information being taught. They should shorten the mid-day break and finish classes at 5:00 p.m. to allow students enough time to do their homework away from school.

__WINDENERGY__
Jun 12, 2007 04:53
  • JOHNNY512
Well, today's examination system is similar to the imperial examination system. If you fail to pass the exam, you have lost the chance to enter the university. If you can not enter the university, you will not possibly have a good future. That is what the parents't hought in China. To enter a famous university means that you have a guaranteed and bright future.

Children's destinies are decided by the exams. That is not fair.
Jun 12, 2007 11:41
  • YITION
Well, as i know, the Chinese's Universitie's door is easily opened to foreigners.
Back door is always open, all the Chines know.
I don't know much about CEE, but i know the educacion system.
Jun 12, 2007 17:05
  • WINDENERGY
Sorry, Johnny, your opinion doesn't matter!

__WINDENERGY__
Jun 12, 2007 20:00
  • MAY001
"Children's destinies are decided by the exams. That is not fair. "

So decided by what?? What is fair?
Jun 13, 2007 04:38
  • ZOEY
Well, for those who come from the rural or mountain areas, entering the university is the only way out. Otherwise they will stay at home and work in the fields or go out to work in the cities.
Jun 15, 2007 22:19
  • ELLEN77
I think the CCE itself is not wrong, but what should be examinated should be considered about. There should be some examinations to the basic knowledges that one has mastered to testify his or her ability to the reception of further education.
Post a Reply to: How do you think of China's college entrance examination?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code