Menu
Why doesn't school day end at 5:00 p.m.?
Jun 12, 2007 17:32
  • WINDENERGY
Now that summer is coming on, this teacher's desire to travel grows longer like the days. But, I feel sorry for my student's here. In China, the school day for them begins before 7:00 a.m. and doesn't end until after 9:00 p.m. There are 2 long breaks during the day, but I don't see any of them doing their homework during these breaks. Instead, most of them try to do their homework in between and during classes!

What brought about this type of schedule in China? Sure 6:30 a.m. might not be too early to start your school day, but staying in school until 9:00 p.m. This is absurd!@ The children ought to get out of school at 5:00 and be able to stay at home in the evening and do their homework!

__WINDENERGY__

Jun 12, 2007 19:42
  • MAY001
If the population of China was as smaller as US, 0.4 billion (right?), our students would be less pressured. Pass the College Entrance Exam is their aim. Parents believe that the more time you spend on study, the better you are. Of course it's not the truth but lots of students are really not self-discipline enough.
Jun 13, 2007 00:59
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Yes, they burden much pressure. Especially those who are in terminal classes. In daytime, they do the school asssignment. At night, they have to review and do homework. You see that more and more pupils wear glasses.

The government has adopted some measures to lessen the burden of the students. However, it does not bring satisfying results. They are confronted with fierce competitions.
Jun 13, 2007 09:22
  • CCELEVEN
yeepp...

it's very boring for every student in china...
we should get up very early and start the first class in 7:40
12:00 we would have dinner or sleep alittle time
have the breaks time for 2 hours

till the 5:00PM
if u dont want to go to sleep very later in evening
so u'd better do some homework in that time

7:00 PM
class . again...
zzzZZZZ....

so when we back home
it's almost 10:00PM

TOT...
does it boring??
Jun 17, 2007 01:14
  • APAULT
Sorry May, but the developed countries are just as competitive as China. The long hours have nothing to do with population.

There are many reasons, the shortage of education that poany parents and grandparents experienced, the styleof teaching is like western teaching a hundred years ago as is very ineffective, the nature of the Chinese language (which I have read adds 2 years to the the time needed to study ast school), and the attitude that quantity is betetr than quality. Education experts have shown that people , especially younger ones absorb little when sat in rows working from boring books and teacers, can only work in 45 minute bursts, and that oiver about 6 hours a day the benefit of each additional hour is reduced.

But, Windenergy, don't expect to change any of this! You may have an impact by using more advanced teaching techbiques which might be copied by some teachers or students, but on the whole, the answer is 'This is the Chinese Way'. Ok, fair enough, but when China stops having the advantages it does now of cheap labour and a low start point, it will either have to change or it will not be world competitive.

I feel very sad to see so many sleepy kids going home as late as 10 pm, then sleepy in the class next morning... but my job is to teach English and explain western cultures... and accept the system because everyone else does!
Post a Reply to: Why doesn't school day end at 5:00 p.m.?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code