Menu
Is every Chinese woman a travel guide? continuation
Jun 13, 2007 13:11
  • LIONPOWER
Why we failed to write that post?
Jun 13, 2007 19:56
  • ROGERINCA
Hi Lionpower, the issue is very simple. One should not try to promote stereotypes of others of a particular group; be they Chinese women, or American men. Moreover, one should always speak of women, with respect and maintain the dignity and decorum, within this forum, that it so deserves; regardless of one‘s own cultural background and/or personal views.

Jun 13, 2007 20:01
  • MAY001
Yes, Roger. Actually I feel uneasy when saying that post. What's wrong with a tour guide?? That's just a job. What's wrong with a female tour guide? Discrimination?
Jun 14, 2007 02:55
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, Roger, I agree with you.
I am from a conservative country and doing business with China since long. Found no problem in China though my maximum friends are English speaking girls. They are on their way and I am in my path. What the problem? I never fell!

I guess TCG is a very cool community. Many communities have always fighting fighting situation. They are writing as they wish. It’s their freedom. Here also have to freedom every body.

At conclusion, we will meet a sound place. My question is, why the submission of post locked?

May001, you failed to explain, “Why female tour guide”? Please read about Chinese people’s English learning history. It will clear every body, “Why girls”?
Jun 14, 2007 05:54
  • DAVEC
I have read the previous thread and maybe I see things differently than others. To me the original questions asked were valid but somehow the whole subject went off on a random tangent and everyone took offence.
Jun 14, 2007 09:37
  • GRIZ326
Thank you for recognizing that DAVEC. The misunderstanding was injected by another poster.

Jun 15, 2007 11:28
  • LIONPOWER
Griz,
Please don't go unpleasant side. Wish to know more valuable comments from you on the topic.
Jun 15, 2007 12:23
  • DAVEC
The original post I believe was not meant in any way to be offencive to anyone in China. We think and act differently in the west so the questions were asked in innocence. I too think its a little strange and potentially dangerous for a women to offer her services to a complete stranger. Just think about the scenario for a moment... A man from europe/america or anywhere really arrives in China and meets a very helpful woman who offers to help him with the language and travel. They then go to distant places,maybe away from populated areas alone. How do you know the man is genuine and not a rapist or murderer or both?
A tour guide does a great job whether they are male or female but in the west we would question someone going on a trip with a complete stranger. Maybe because some people here in the west are not always as honest and kind natured as the Chinese.
Jun 16, 2007 02:57
  • LIONPOWER
Devac,
Yes, your thinking in right way.
Now Chinese law too much strong about your suspicions. So the Chinese did not care about the danger. They fell, they are protected, either Man or woman.

Off course they will ask every thing when you will arrive and help you lawfully. They have no way to avoid the law of China. They are very much cautious about it.

Mainly young people are interested for tour guide to speed up their English speaking ability. Other positive or negative factor we may consider but the cases are minimum.
Jun 16, 2007 04:15
  • GURTY
It seems that women are good at learning languages. At the meantime, women are more attentive and patient. Consequently, there are nore women guide. Is this issue a matter of dispute?

Davec, couldn't agree with more.
Jun 16, 2007 18:55
  • GRIZ326
Without exception, every woman I have exchanged emails with has offered to be my "tour guide." This struck me as curious, especially because these women wanted to stay with me and take care of me during the entire trip.

When I was in China in 1978 there were always people following my shipmates and I to here how we spoke. There was even a young man who walked all round Shanghai with me just to practice his English.

I was really wondering if it is a common scam in China.

There was nothing vile in my original post, although I can understand how a non-native speaker might not have seen the humor of my original post.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is every Chinese woman a travel guide? continuation
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code