Menu
A good Chinese oral translating machine?
Jun 14, 2007 19:56
  • WINDENERGY
Hello community,

When I am in Kunming, later in June, I am interested in buying a good, hand-held, oral Chinese machine to assist me with my Mandarin studies. Does anybody know where I can buy one? Honestly, I don't know if they even exist........but many of my students use an English oral translator to assist with their english studies.
Maybe a hand-held Blackberry wireless computer is the way to go?

Any and all advice is appreciated!!

__WINDENERGY__
Jun 15, 2007 11:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes.

Get your hand held and look around for the Chinese/English/Pinyin Dictionary. I'm using Pleco software which is a dictionary with flashcards, character recognition. Input is by hanzi characters, pinyin and tones and English but there is no sound. the things the kids use here are useless for us foreigners because they only go from English to hanzi meaning no pinyin so unless you have learnt the character you will not understand anything. Let me rephase that. Look at the software first and then buy the handheld that is compatible. Check out pleco.com Michael is very helpful andothers on thier forum will answer any questions you may have

Once you've learnt the phonics for Chinese it is pretty simple, just the tones mess you up a bit but if you speak quickly in most instances you will be understood regardless of the tones you use.
Jun 15, 2007 12:04
  • LIONPOWER
850 RMB in Shenzhen electronics market
Jun 15, 2007 12:51
  • GRIZ326
Wenlin has a voice tool for pronounciation, but it requires a windows based laptop or UMPC.

I cannot address the quality of the Chinese speech...but it sounds real.
Post a Reply to: A good Chinese oral translating machine?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code