Menu
4 dishes & 1 soup, are you confused?
Jun 20, 2007 03:40
  • EVENING
Don't know whether you expats in China have been to a traditional Chinese family. If so, have you ever been served 4 dishes and 1 soup as your meal or have you ever heard of this eating habit?

This is the most common homely meal habit in China and has been developed for hundreds of years......

One of my foreign friends once came to my home and my mother prepared this for her. She felt confused and asked why the exact numbers of dish and soup. hehe, do you know why?? ^.*

Jun 20, 2007 04:06
  • SAYHITOANT
I am not aware of the 4 dishes + 1 soup meal bahit in China. When I visited my friend in Fuzhou, her mother cooked about 7 dishes + 1 soup for us.

As a chinese Singaporean, my mum usually cook 2 dishes + 1 soup for about 5 of us. She will add more dishes if there are more people having the meal.
Jun 20, 2007 10:59
  • LIONPOWER
Yes, we enjoy many dishes and many soup in a meal
Jun 20, 2007 12:22
  • DAVEC
I was always told from my Chinese friends you have 1 dish for each person plus 1 extra and soup. so for 4 people it would be 4(people)+1(extra)+soup = 6 dishes in total.
Jun 20, 2007 18:25
  • WINDENERGY
Evening,

No, I have no idea why traditional Chinese dinner will have 4 dishes and 12 soup. Do you want to fill me in on your secret? I have included a picture of one of the meals that I enjoyed as a guest in China.

__WINDENERGY__

Jun 20, 2007 21:22
  • EVENING
So many dishes! You must have many people to eat up all of them! ^.&
Actually there is a historical story about why 4 dishes and 1 soup.... hehe.....
Jun 20, 2007 22:57
  • LIONPOWER
What's the history?
Jun 24, 2007 02:25
  • EVENING
It is created by the first emperor of Ming Dynasty, Zhu Yuanzhang.

The very year when he got the throne, it happened to drought disaster. While the common people suffered from hunger, some officials yet enjouyed their luxurious life. This really offened Zhu, who was once a poor farmer's son.

At the birthday ceremony of Zhu's empress, he orderd to just give 4 dishes and 1 soup to those luxurious officials.

The first one was Fried Radishes. Radishes are said to be the medicine to cure many diseases, blessing the health of the whole nation.

The second one was Fried leeks. Leeks grows up quickly, which symbolizes the thriving of Zhu's kingdom.

The third was two bowls of green vegetables, which means incorruptness.

The final was a symple soup of Toufu.

Zhu claimed all the officals should just entertain their guests with at most 4 dishes and 1 soup to resist excessive luxury.

Jun 24, 2007 02:29
  • EVENING
China traditionally regards diligence and frugality as a kind of virtue.
This eating habite is to remind people of the hard life and tell people not to waste anything.
And to warn the officials against corruption.
Jun 24, 2007 10:40
  • LIONPOWER
Thanks Evening for your history. So glad.
Jun 24, 2007 16:30
  • GRIZ326
That is a wonderful story. I already emailed it to a friend. :)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 4 dishes & 1 soup, are you confused?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code