Menu
Do more dream-seekers in Shanghai have to stay in slum?
Oct 19, 2007 03:26
  • KATRINA
CLAUDIUS ,

You are still living in Shanghai, right? The housing price continues rising in Shanghai. Has the local government taken any measure to curb the mounting housing price? The real estate and stock market in Shanghai is booming . Well, sadly, average Shanghainese can not benefit from the booming economy.
Oct 26, 2007 05:14
  • CLAUDIUS
I'm travelling in and out of Shanghai now, usually staying a couple of days during the transit between Singapore and Hubei, where I work.
Beijing did ask local government for some immediate action to curb the white hot economy at the macro level, however, unlike the Zhejiiang and Jiangsu provincial government, Shanghai largely went their own way despite open warnings from Beijing in the media (which is rare). Much political powers were at play here, while Shanghai continues to take in foreign and local investments. The 'side shows' to curb overheating in the economy by the Shanghainese govt happened during end 2004 to (which unfortunately didn't get to address the core issues and therefore sort of lost most of its momentum in) 2006.
2007 was a fresh page with the bull runs in the stock market. Nobody could have guess the amount of liquidity in the market that could fuel such a run. I guess its all to do with the potential gathered throughout the years of unequaled economic performance. I'm not an economist myself, but when the living cost starts to hurt, you'll tend to get a little bit more observant. My only conclusion is, China is a place where you can still see something so extreme and even primal.
The only sad part (in my humble opinion) is, the effects of all these income disparity and economic extremism are doing to the minds of the younger generations.
Oct 30, 2007 12:33
GUESTTINA OR I am living in New York as I read this. Your observations sound much like those of Americans in big cities: 1)the everwidening gap between the rich and poor, and 2)the rising cost of living spaces. But cities, especially in the center are what they are and will always be for the rich. Of course, there are the "slums." Why live there? Why not live there? Why not buy where it is cheap and hang on to what you have? Renovate. And why not group up with other people to live collaboratively? Share spaces; build community. There are always solutions. AND avoid getting caught up in western griping, desiring, and thinking. When the latter happens, it is already too late
Oct 30, 2007 21:25
  • ICEBLUE
GUESTTINA OR ,
Shanghai has been internationalized to a large extent. There are many similarities between New York and Shanghai. As you have mentioned, "the everwidening gap between the rich and poor, and 2)the rising cost of living spaces" are the reality of Shanghai.

"And why not group up with other people to live collaboratively? Share spaces; build community. There are always solutions."

You might not have heard that several days ago, Shanghai has stipulated that sharing appartment with others( Non-family-members) is not allowed. The possibility of grouping up diminished.
Nov 19, 2007 03:55
GUESTDREAMER In Shanghai, the house price is incredibly high. Living in Shanghai is costing. If your average monthly income is less than 10,000 RMB. You are not qualified to live a decent life.
Dec 9, 2007 06:09
GUEST11994 I'm married to a zhejiang girl that wants a flat in Shanghai. I work in Beijing and get 13500 every month. I'll have 200'000 rmb in the beginning of next year to pay the first account. If anyone as advices for this situation (should I wait a bit more or not, what should I get (i'm thinking about a property that is not more than 800'000 for around 70sqm not more that one hour from the city center by bus), if someone as something to propose to me...), she/he could be retributed in swiss chocolate !!!
Dec 12, 2007 21:21
  • JOHNNY512
"if someone as something to propose to me...), she/he could be retributed in swiss chocolate !!! "

Oh, Swiss chocolate. Quite Rewarding! I wish I could offer some help, but I have never been to Shanghai. Maybe someone else who are from Shanghai on this forum could help you.
Jan 30, 2008 03:43
GUEST2107 In Shanghai, if you are poor, you have no room to stand. A shady basement would be an ideal shelter for you.
Feb 8, 2008 13:51
GUEST40226 I am Chinese and from Shanghai, I have been away from home for a long time and think of returning. But who can pay the price? the Chinese themselves solve the problem by living together, and some rent only a bed for 300RMB per month in a students dormitory. I think I will have to consider the same kind of solution. But why go to Shanghai if you are not from there? Why not stay in the U.S.A instead? I want to know. You cannot save a penny working there and paying for such unreasonable price for a dwelling. Or you should better live with the normal Chinese people in a less luxurious district. And it will be better so. If you stay only with expats, you will learn nothing about the country, and the Chinese will think you are too haughty to condense yourself to a chat with local people. For the Chinese themselves, they will not be able to afford a luxurious home, if some of them do own such a home, they will rent it to rich foreigners instead.
Feb 12, 2008 03:50
GUEST6543 The situation in Beijing is similar to that of Shanghai. Housing price is ridiculously hiking.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do more dream-seekers in Shanghai have to stay in slum?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code