Menu
Planning to Drive in China
Jun 22, 2007 08:18
  • PINKKIMBUS
Hi, my Husband and I are planning to travel to China next year for 1 month in October. I have read through the threads of 2006, but can anyone give me any updates on driving in China? We are starting our journey in Beijing, travel to the west of Huanglong, down to Xian,Guizhou,Guilin,Zhejiang, Shanghai and to return to Beijing. There seems to be many good Train links but unfortunately due to a severe car accident I had I am unable to travel great distances and rely on the comfort of a car to literally take me directly to the destination.
Thank you to anyone that can give me some more advise on this.

Kim
Jun 22, 2007 10:37
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi KIm,
As you have probably read you cannot dirve in China (legally) without a Chinese Drivers Licence. it si possible to hire a car and driver to take you around in each of the locations you have chosen to visit.

You may like to fly the long distances between major destinations and hire transport with driver when you arrive in each place.
All the best.
Jun 22, 2007 10:58
  • GRIZ326
Jabarootoo offers good counsel.

Driving in China is not for the faint of heart! :-)
Jun 22, 2007 15:19
Jabarootoo's and Griz's counsels definitely good! I consider myself a hardened and adventurous driver, unfased by London, Paris, Milan, or even Cairo.... but even if I could get hold of a car, I would be very nervous of driving myself in Beijing.

You are planning to cover some serious distances, and even though you plan a whole month in China, I think you would find it very tiring to do all these journeys by road. If air travel is not practical because of the discomfort getting on & off etc., I can say from experience that some of the top-end train services are a real pleasure, and I am sure you could pre-book some service by the car & driver company (or travel guide company) you choose to use at each of your 'hubs' to assist with bags etc to take the pain out of the station work.
Jun 23, 2007 08:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Just for the record,
I'm not a city girl, but I have driven in a lot of places around the world on my travels but prefer the open road to city driving. I got my Chinese licence last December and drive a little around Chongqing but I have to say that driving in Beijing would be a breeze compared to here.

Final Note: Unless you are driving in China or similar, there is absolutely no excuse for 'Road Rage' .

At least where I learnt to drive it is safe to anticipate other driver responses and actions but in China you have so many other unexpected intrusions, as well as the irregular driving, a complete disregard for common courtesy, road rules, road markings and stop signs by both drivers and pedestrians alike. It is a nightmare, a circus.

I don't drive often but I cannot afford a lapse in concentration at all.

The other big issue here is limited road signage in English or even Pinyin if you happen to know any. Signage is opten poor in nature, giving short notice and vague instruction. I know my city pretty well now but in the beginning it would have been very difficult to have attempted to drive. Even now I have to check with my friends on the best route or exit at a large intersection if I haven't been that way for some time.

It certainly is not for the uninitiated or the t=faint hearted.
Jun 23, 2007 17:54
  • WCTMAN
I enjoy these driving posts. I drove for 30 years in Canada and I won't drive here in Xi'An. Well, maybe at 4 AM, but even then, were there one other car on the road, I would expect to be somehow cut off or otherwise forced to take evasive action. Jabarootoo calls it a circus; I think it is more like anarchy.

On the plus side, almost everyone drives very slow ( by western standards ) and so accidents are generally the fender bender variety.

In answer to the post, I would forget the idea of driving around in China. Trains, buses, airplanes, whatever...just don't drive. Your chances of completing your itinerary with your mental health intact are near to zero.
Jun 23, 2007 18:57
lol that is nuts driving across china

jabarootoo how did you get your drivers? what are the steps?
Jun 24, 2007 02:13
  • JABAROOTOO
There are a few other threads covering this topic.
Jun 25, 2007 10:19
  • PINKKIMBUS
Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your replies. We have certainly made our minds up I think not to drive. Can't bear to have another car accident. I think the best option for Local trips would be by car but with a Chinese Driver who actually knows the roads and for the longer trips I will make a go of the Train system. I am told the Train system is excellent and comfortable with the Higher Grade Tickets. By the sounds of it I will be a nervous wreck by the end of my holiday if we were to drive. Thanks again for your advise.

Kim
Jun 26, 2007 22:50
  • APAULT
I think you may have problems just being in any vehicle on the road. My sister has your experience and is now very nervous so based on what I know of her nervousness If you still have any fear on the road, u will not be able to open your eyes here. It is anarchy, people to not look before they act, I am not exaggerating.
Nov 6, 2008 11:27
GUEST34181 im english and have lived in beijing for 3 years i drive here every day i dont see the problem yea its busy yea some people drive a bit crazy but as long as your not stupid or just scared you wont have any dramas im actually planning to drive across china myself dont let these people put you off china is a very safe place and belive me i have driven in some dodgy places like iraq , kosovo . kuwait , dont be put of with what they say if your a good driver you will have no problems and the police dont bother foriegn drivers i have been stopped a few times radomly and everytime a police man see im white he just tells me to drive on as they dont have the time or resorces to deal with you so dont be put of and let me know how things go maybe if you still thinking about it could meet up on route sometime as we ar also leaving from beijing
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Planning to Drive in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code