Menu
Yunnan or Guizhou & Guangxi?
Jun 24, 2007 00:16
  • DANCER50
Planning a trip during National Week and we know it is a bad time to travel but daughter is a teacher so we don't have any choice. Which place do you think would be less crowed or will it make any difference at all?
Either Yunnan -- Jinghong (Manting Wat, Ganlanba, Sanchahe Elephant Reserve, Banla Village), Xishuangbanna, Mengla (Bupan Aerial Walkway) and Manfeilong Ta, and Dali or
Guizhou -- Guiyang, Anshun, Longgong Dong, Huangguaoshu Falls, Maio Villages, Guilin (Li River Cruise) to Yangshuo, Chengyang and Zhaoxing OK too much for one week.
Any comments. It will be one of the few places my daughter will get to visit as she only gets 2 X week long holidays while she is working there and the other week she wants to go to Tibet.
Also she doesn't have a lot of money. Would the smaller villages in Yunnan likely be cheaper? and if we travel around by bus and local drivers will that be a problem during that week? Would they all be booked up ahead? Also guide book says basic accomodation is available in most villages? woud that be booked up ahead by tour companies?
Any other tips for 2 couples travelling for first time in China never mind during one of the busiet times of the year (groan).
Jun 24, 2007 01:03
  • MENG
Hi,

I think Guizhou should have less tourists at that time. Yunnan is so popular recent years, especially some small but exotic villages. Of course, there are some other villages but I think their transportation is not very convenient for your fisrt visit to China. To be frank, I will choose Yunnan as well.

I think you'd better have a Chinese guide or a driver who can speak some English. It will make your travel easier.

It is available for you to book air tickets and restaurants in advance. Moat of travel agency can meet your needs. Personally, I think TravelChinaGuide is reliable. At the same time, it has some related information on your destinations.
Jun 24, 2007 01:33
  • DANCER50
Yes it does but not sure we can all afford a tour. My daughter is teaching (but she is really still a student at university in Canada) and her boyfriend will be struggling to come up with the money for his plane fare. And my husband and I are planning on travelling around China for 5 weeks. So some of that time we were going to do a tour but I was trying to see if we could keep the costs down that week because of my daughter and her boyfriend and our overall costs for the 5 weeks.
I thought for sure you would say Guizhou would be more crowded because of the Li River tours and Guilin seems like it must be a really popular place with those mountains. but sounds like the little ethnic villages are popular too. Gosh I'm having trouble deciding anything. Just so many options and things to consider. Wish I was rich enough to go on tours the whole way and just relax and enjoy but 5 weeks would be huge expense.
Thanks for your thought tho.
Jun 24, 2007 01:40
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Dancer,
I also reccommend Guizhou. You may be able to leave a day or two earlier than the rush. This has been my experience and then youcan ge the cheaper flights or at least book ahead and get sleepers on the train.

suggest you read up on my Travel Reviews of Guizhou,then get the train or fly into Guiyang and travel south to Yangshuo. You haven't given us you starting place???? This will affect how long you actually have on the ground. But stick clear of the busy places and local buses are fine. You will see and enjoy more this way and it will be cheaper becuase there a few ticekted places and those that are will not be so expensive.

Solo travel is Ok. I imagine your daughter has aphrase book and some language by now. All the best
Jun 24, 2007 05:24
  • LEO1985
Hi,
I`m a college student right from Guilin China,I don`t know for sure which one is better but one thing for sure is that all of these three will be very crowded during National Week.Considering Guilin is my hometown that i`m very familiar with,I recommend it.I`d also like to give you some information about travelling in Guilin,in China.(I think it`s unnecessary to give those that you can easily find from tour websites)

First of all,be particularly alert to any tour agency and anything near any train station in china.Nation-wide,over 90% of cheats or even crime have something to do with these two. Shame to say chinese tour-related cheats and crimes have been rising and lack of effective rules and laws.So it`ll be high risky to trust people who offers what they call cheap but good tour service.

I`m afraid the only thing you can book in advance is tickets if you intend to travel on your own.Some unexpected problems may come up despite a good plan and tour guidebook,so it would be better to have a reliable tour guide(I have to stress again not all tour guides provided by travel agency are reliable),especially if you speak no chinese.

Tickets of all tour spots in china are more expensive for foreigners,so if you just want to visit villages,the costs will be much lower,I think that`s the best way to learn the culture of china,Besides,you`ll be lucky if you have some kind local people who`s willing to lead you to those beautiful places that is totally free(That kind of places do exist).Guilin and Yangshuo have many villages too,where you can enjoy both delicious chinese food and the amazing natural beauty.

Feel free to contact me if you want more information about Guilin and Yangshuo,i`m willing to share with you information and the pictures of Guilin taken by my friends and myself (That`s absolutely real).My email:hotmail.com|lzc_leo1985

Jun 24, 2007 11:53
  • DANCER50
Thanks for your advise I guess it will be Guizhou. I appreciate the help I tell you it is a challenge making decisions when you have never been there. As we plan further I'm sure I will have more questions. Mostly, concerned about this National week as we obviously have to plan ahead with all the crowds. And I want it to be nice for my daughter and her boyfriend who only have that one week to travel. My daughter, Asia (English name) or Aixia (Chinese name that she is registered in this site under), is also hoping to go to Tibet for one week in August. She is planning to go herself and stay in hostels etc. Any advice for her? I just showed her this site last night and she registered and posted a thread looking for a travel companion to Tibet.
Jun 24, 2007 12:02
  • DANCER50
Hey thanks for the tips. I have to talk to my daughter and her boyfriend but it looks like we will be in Guilin at some point of national week. When we get to identifying our areas of interest I will contact you again.
Jun 25, 2007 02:48
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Dancer,
Not sure if you realize but Guilin is in Guangxi Province which neighbours Guizhou. It is the southern parts of Guizhou, away from the major sites that you posted above that will be the best value for money. I highly recommned the area aroundZhoaxing, Sanjiang and Rongjiang which would leave you a days travel from Guilin and Yangshuo where you could end your week of travel with your daughter and boyfriend. Once you get away fromt he tourist traps things are much cheaper and in many places there is no ticket fee.

We hired a mini (Chang'an) Van for the day in Sanjiang and drove out to the bridge(you can stay here to and do a days trekking around the villages on foot) and several other villages. The only cost was the van and we saw so much more, ocvered the ground quickly and shared between four this is good value. You can pay around Y150 - Y200 for four or five hours depends on the distance you travel as well. Hotels can be as cheap as Y30 per person. One of the most interesting places I have visited. Lots to see and not too much travelling to see it all.
Jun 25, 2007 03:28
  • SUSAN205060
Hi, DANCER50,

1) Pls be full attention that you will meet crowded people in Guilin if you insist to China during Golden week .

2) From the point of our local guide , we don't think that it is good choice during the peak season to see Guilin since you can't see what you want to find.

Yours sincerely,
Susan Zheng ( China Tour guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060

Jun 27, 2007 04:24
  • ELLYSE
I would recommend Guizhou as well.
Sep 16, 2007 18:34
GUEST22144 I'm planning a trip from Shenzhen to Guilin in October. Does anyone know what a reasonable airfare would be for that distance? I want to make sure I'm not getting charged an unreasonable rate. How soon should I book the plane ticket?
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Yunnan or Guizhou & Guangxi?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code