Menu
Skipping Turpan, Hotan or Kashgar
Jun 27, 2007 05:39
  • ELLYSE
Would it be a huge pity to miss any of these 3 destinations?

We're starting in Xining on 1/7 and have to be back in Lanzhou to catch a train by noon 25/7. Our route is approximately Xining -- Huatugou -- Charklik (Ruoqiang) -- Hotan -- Karghilik (Yecheng) -- Yarkand (Shache) -- Kashgar -- Karakul -- Tashkurgan -- Kashgar -- Yining (Sayram Lake) -- Bu'erjin -- Hanas Lake -- Tian Chi -- Urumqi -- Turpan -- Dunhuang -- Lanzhou.

My travel companion is adamant that bazaars in Kashgar and Hotan will be disappointing. I beg to disagree based on my own reading of guidebooks and various forums. However he's really not convinced. He's also very insistent on skipping Turpan as he thinks we lack time.
Jun 27, 2007 10:17
  • JABAROOTOO
I loved Turpan' grape valley, Karez and locals and skipped Dunhuang for lack of time. It really depends on your prefernces. Can't speak for the rest although a day in Urumqi will be enough. It's pretty and the Museum which will be new and reopened is really worth the visit to see the mummies
Jun 27, 2007 21:04
  • ELLYSE
Yes, I really want to see the new Museum in Urumqi as well.
If we go to Turpan, we'll also have to go to Dunhuang -- I promised my friend if he goes to Turpan for me, I'll revisit Dunhuang for him.
Post a Reply to: Skipping Turpan, Hotan or Kashgar
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code