Menu
Kunming, Lijiang & Shangri-la in November/December
Jun 28, 2007 07:58
  • CWYE
Hi, new around here. Looks like a good place to get some info on travelling in China.

Anyway, I am thinking about a two-week-trip to Kunming, Dali, Lijiang and then on to Shangri-la, starting around mid November and ends in early December. I am not sure what is weather like around that time of the year. Would it be cold? especially around Shangrila? What is the day's high and low temperature like around that time of the year?

Thanks.
Jun 28, 2007 08:37
  • DAVEC
It will be very cold going up to shangri la (zhongdian) possibly frozen roads. Plus if it snows the roads will be unpassable. I am doing same trip early september and all the sources I have read say try to avoid the trip after october or at least be prepared for delays because of the weather.
Jun 28, 2007 19:51
  • SUSAN205060
Hi, CWYE,

I just come back to Shanghai from after 12 days backpackers travel in Yunnan province, Nov / Dec is winter Season in Shangri-la which is dangerous due to frozen roads and snow.

4 Japanese died in Y2006 during their travel in Shangri-la because the snow falled from mountain in the Winter (Dec' 06).

So the best and safe choice is you can go there by Oct' 06 or after Feb ' 08 .

Yours sincerely,
Susan Zheng ( China Tour Guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060
Jun 28, 2007 23:33
  • CWYE
Thanks for the reply. How about only up to Dali and Lijian? How's the weather like around that area during that time?
Jul 3, 2007 00:46
  • JABAROOTOO
COLD

I was there in October one year and it was COLD but if you like cold weather, are prepared for it then it is not an issue. When you get to Lijiang you can get some local knowledge on whether iT is OK (SAFE) to keep going north. Depends on your schedule. You need to have time on your side in case thinks don't go to plan. If you get sknowed in you'll be stuck.
Jul 7, 2007 00:58
  • CWYE
Maybe I should think about visiting that region in other months. Thanks for all the replies.
Jul 7, 2007 07:49
  • ELLYSE
Lijiang is very pretty in the snow though.
You might want to look on http://www.wunderground.com for historical weather data.
Post a Reply to: Kunming, Lijiang & Shangri-la in November/December
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code