Menu
Travel partner from Chengdu to Kunming (western route)
Jul 5, 2007 20:44
  • CHYNAGYRL
I'm looking for a travel partner(s) to travel from Chengdu to Kunming along the western route that passes by the Himalayas. I have about three weeks time from August 1 -- 24. (it takes at least 7 days but more if we go leisurely). The area is remote, so especially if the bus falls off a cliff I'd like your company into the afterlife.

The route I'm looking at is called the "back door" into Northern Yunnan. It goes from Chengdu --> Kangding --> Litang --> Zhongdian --> Leaping Tiger Gorge --> Lijiang --> Dali --> Kunming and is mostly by bus. There's many high mountain passes. If you're adventurous and want to go somewhere away from most tourists, this is a good itinerary.

I'm Chinese-Canadian and speak Mandarin and some French. Looking for a travel partner(s) to look out for each other (safety on treks), share accomodations sometimes, and to share interesting meals and conversations. I'm going to stay in Canada unless I find a travel partner so please write me!!

Jul 6, 2007 00:55
  • KM09
Hello Chynagyrl,

My name is Karine. I'm a 23y/o girl in Shanghai now on vacation until August 22nd.
The trip you describe (with all its potential mishaps and dangers! :) is exactly what I've been looking for and I would love to join you!

Please contact me and hopefully we can start setting up an itinerary.

Take care,
Karine
hotmail.com|km_09

Jul 6, 2007 21:51
Hello Chynagyrl,
i have free time from July 20 to August 14.I had been in Yunnan last summer holiday.I like traveling there very much,so i still want to go there this time,but it's dufficult to find a friend with me.I want to join you.we need to talk about the detail of itinerary..
my contact is:Msn;hotmail.co.uk|stonecxw0328
HOPE FOR YOUR REPLY!
Jul 7, 2007 00:56
  • LIONPOWER
Will you start from Chengdu and finished in Kunming?
If so , settle a fixed address in Chengdu where we may meet.
Jul 18, 2007 10:42
  • OVERHERE
Hi,

I just registered with this site to reply to your question so I've not filled out my profile yet, I'm 42y.o male from New York, planning a trip from August 2nd to 18th, are you still planning your trip?

Lawrence
Jul 18, 2007 11:05
  • JENZO
sounds like a very interresting route.

I live in Beijing over the summer... and will therefore be free the period you describe.

Im a 22 yo danish guy, currently studying in the UK. Im a non smoker... and I dont believe in an afterlife... so Im afraid I might just be able to tag along on the first part of the tour... ;-)

Please contact me on email if you are still interested... also... do you have any idea as to how much this tour might cost? Anywho... here my email... take care
jens_enzo [AT] hotmail.com

[AT] = @
Jul 22, 2007 19:43
  • BENNYC
hi,
this is a beautiful trip. I did it in 2004, starting from kunming.
If you start from chengdu, make sure to take time to get used to the altitude, as your ascend is very quick. Altitude sickness can be a real problem. But the trip is absolutely wonderfull, just take your time (or inverse your schedule, then you get used to altitude in lijiang and tiger leaping). GL
Jul 31, 2007 18:55
  • CHYNAGYRL
Hi. Thanks for your interest and comments :-) I've had to delay my departure from Canada due to work. But now I think I'm ready to come to China after tying up some loose ends here. BennyC mentioned the high altitude, so I've changed the direction of the trip to go from South to North, from Kunming to Chengdu. After that I'm planning to fly to Shanghai and swim home. My tentative itinerary is like this right now:

Shanghai ---> Kaili by train (Aug. 13)
Visit Kaili, Guiyang area (Aug. 14, 15)
Guiyang --> Kunming by train (Aug. 16)
Kunming (Aug. 17, 18)
Kunming --> Dali (Aug. 19, 20)
Dali --> Lijiang (Aug. 21, 22, 23)

LIJIANG area (includes Leaping Tiger Gorge, Lugu Lake, Weixi -- Degen) -- mix and match depends on votes
(Aug 24 -- 29)

Shangri-la ---> Xiangcheng, Litang, Yaiang, Kangding, Chengdu (a long bus ride... yawn) Aug 30-31

Chengdu (Sep. 1 to 3)

Goodbye CHINA.
Please help me if you have any helpful tips or cautions about the above path, or if you're interested in traveling with me. Please I only want to travel with nice people. Thanks :-)
Aug 1, 2007 11:49
  • LIONPOWER
Only with nice people!
What about the ugly people like me?
Post a Reply to: Travel partner from Chengdu to Kunming (western route)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code