Menu
We're planning to drive from London to Shanghai
Jul 6, 2007 15:35
  • DNAGENT
Can someone please tell me what is involved in getting a car into China from the Mongolian border to Shanghai? We're trying to plan a trip around the world by car (for charity). Our plan is to leave San Francisco and drive East until we get to Shanghai. We'll put the car in one container ship to the UK and continue from there. Hopefully we'll be able to get a container ship to bring the car back to the US from Shanghai. Just what do we have to do to make this possible?
Jul 6, 2007 21:18
  • ELLYSE
Driving in China requires going through a lot of paperwork and red tape, and it's also very expensive. I would suggest posting this question on Lonely Planet's ThornTree forum (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com) as I've seen people with knowledgeable answers there. China is covered by the North-East Asia branch there.
Jul 7, 2007 01:44
  • JABAROOTOO
Another group who may be able to assist are the Peking to Paris Rally, the original of which was recently re-enacted

They brought 5 vehicles into China by ship and had a little difficulty ith red tape on arrival. I would imagine you'll need to have a contact here in China to help you with all the details and translations and paperwork.

Al the best, sounds like a challege but a fun one.
Keep us posted when you make it happen
Jul 7, 2007 07:24
you crazy guys...good luck. really a long way to go.

you can find me in shanghai,china, a guy who have living in london for three years, if you need any help here.

yahoo.com|chenfei_22
Jul 13, 2007 00:12
  • APAULT
As noted in other threads you must have a Chinese licence to drive here. You cannot drive on an international licence. There are vendors of licences who will arrange other people to sit the test and hand over your photo.... it's obviously illegal and quite expensive. There is an advertiser for licences on this site, I assume they MUST provide a legal way.

There are also rules about taking your car into major cities as they limit the number of cars, and out of town plates would be a way of circumventing the rules. I don't have the details.
Post a Reply to: We're planning to drive from London to Shanghai
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code