Menu
Maximum L-visa duration - living with Z-visa holder for 9-12 months
Jul 8, 2007 21:07
  • WALDO000000
Quick question: What is the maximum total duration that someone can stay in China as a tourist, including trips to HK for visa renewal?

Context:
I have recieved an offer to work in Beijing for 12 months. The plan is for my partner (we are not married) to accompany me and for us to live together over there.

She is trying to find work, but has not found any thus far. If she can find work, then I assume she should be able to get an employment visa and everything will be fine.

But if she doesn't find work, she will have to apply for a tourist visa, right? The question is, is it likely that she will be able to live with me and stay as a "tourist" for 12 months, even if we have to go to HK to get it renewed? What about 9 months? 6 months?

Jul 8, 2007 21:10
  • WALDO000000
By the way, if it's relevant, we are Australian.
Jul 9, 2007 10:55
  • WISEONE300
Hi

How about yout partner looks for work as an English teacher if she is qualified?
Jul 9, 2007 21:57
  • WALDO000000
Hi. We are looking into that, but we're not sure whether we will be successful. Before I accept my offer, I want to be sure that my partner can somehow stay (without working) for 12 months.
Jul 15, 2007 05:34
  • APAULT
Contact the local Chinese consulate. I think you will find that your partner can get an appropriate visa...though maybe being unmarried may make it harder...but contacrt them and see what they say.
Jul 15, 2007 19:59
  • WALDO000000
Thanks Apault. The consulate in Brisbane, Australia said that she should be able to get a 3 month or possibly 6 month tourist visa, which may or may not be able to be renewed for another 3. i.e. total 9 months max, but she was very uncertain about this, because it would not be up to the consulate to decide, but to the authorities in China as to how long they would extend the Visa.

This is why I'm particularly looking for advice from people who have ideally dealt with the authorities in China to extend visas, particularly tourist visas, or people who have found another way (e.g. another type of visa or visits to HK) to stay in China for up to 12 months without a sponsor and therefore without working.

Anyone?

I've also heard stories of a guy and his fiance in a similar situation who wanted to stay in HK (not China). Apparently the authorities did not like it when the fiance said she was planning to be supported by her partner (perhaps suspecting that she might be planning to overstay her tourist visa), and she therefore had to come back until they were married. What is the likelihood of a similar situation happening to us in China?
Jul 17, 2007 04:48
  • APAULT
Generally there is little problem getting renewing tourist visas but as we have often said each office makes up its own rules more or less in line with the rules they are told to follow! Maybe it would be easier to apply for your tourist visa independently from your partner so that you are just another tourist! Remember nothing is certain with visas here, regardless of wht you are told! (We are told we cannot get a Z visa while in China on a tourist visa, based on a 2005 govt ruling, but it seems mine is being processed now! It may or may not complete!!)

If the employer has a good relationship with the local PSB they should be able to help renew your visa in China.
Oct 28, 2007 22:30
  • WALDO000000
Hi all,

Thanks for you help - I picked up our visas today. My girlfriend and I have (since my original post) got married :-) I applied at the Consulate in Brisbane, Australia for a 180 day business visa for myself and a 180 day tourist visa for my wife. We were granted two 180 day business visas, single entry. We were told that double entry visas had a maximum stay of 90 days, and multi entry visas had a maximum stay of only 30 days, so we opted for the single entry.

I supplied an invitation letter for myself from the company in Beijing, our flight itinerary and our marriage certificate. Hope this helps someone else.

Roy
Oct 30, 2007 01:14
  • APAULT
Thanks for the feedback Waldo. Good Luck.
Oct 30, 2007 02:11
  • CHRIS0110
hi Roy,i would like to help you out if you have any questions while staying in beijing.I was impressed very much by your country and people there after I spent four years in Sydney. It's great to meet Aussie people here.

Chirs-- a native of beijing
e-mail: 163.com|helpful
Jul 6, 2008 05:13
GUESTRL YEING Am I to understand you are wanting to bring your girlfriend (spouse) into Australia?
If so I can send you a copy of the immigration rules and regulations. I have already been through this information seeking and have the details.
In general, the process requires you to bring her over on a spouse visa for 3 months and must be married within that time. Then she will need to go back to china or wherever she is from to have the amendments made to her passport and visa etc. where she may then return to Australia for 2 years and is eligable to work etc. After this time, she will then be eligable to apply for residency and or citizenship
if you would like copies of the agenda...... you can contact ma at ripper.com.au|rlyeing
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Maximum L-visa duration - living with Z-visa holder for 9-12 months
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code