Menu
Need a Z visa, should my company do this, or do I?
Jul 10, 2007 08:09
  • MONGOL
I got a job in China, but the company that hired me didnt seem to be concerned about my Visa situation. They said they would be glad to help, but they asked me how to get one, I think its becasue i was asking a low level manager, Im sure his superiors know how to get one. So the question is, should i be doing this or should my company be doing all this for me, i.e. i give them my passport and photos and they do the rest? or i do everything on my own, which im totally lost about. thanks any advice is most appreciated
Jul 10, 2007 11:32
  • JABAROOTOO
They (your prospective employers) give you a letter of invitation to come and work for them in China. You then apply to your nearest Chinese Embassy for a Z visa for the duration of your contract up to one year.

After arrival you employer should take care of the process to get you the Foreign Residence Permit which you will need to remain in the county beyond 30 days after your arrival. You also need to register at your local police station within 24 hours of arrival or soon there after. Again your employers whould be taking care of all this for you.

One would expect but may not of course be in a possition to hire you!!!!!!!!!!!!! hence the lack of knowledge and wanting you to see what you can get...............

Jul 12, 2007 09:00
  • MONGOL
no, see the thing is, im already in china, have been for a few months, and i got the job while i was already in china. i dont know if that makes a difference, but im finding out its hard to get a Z visa, when you are already in china, i hope i dont have to leave again to renew my visa, which kills my wallet.
Jul 12, 2007 09:16
  • JABAROOTOO
Some places make you leave, others don't. The above info still applies whether you leave or not. I had to leave last year but I know that it was possible in most cases not to have to. I know many people who have nothad to leave but your employers NEED to do the work, not you. If they want you, they will have to go to bat for you........................ Or ask them to pay the expenses anyway.
Jul 12, 2007 23:32
  • APAULT
First it is your responsibility to apply for the visa, but as jabaroo says, theemployer must supply the supporting documentation, and if they want you contact the local PSB to find out!

I am in China now and need to apply for a Z visa. The regulations say you must apply from outside the country. You require an extra piece of paper as you are already in the country which seems to be an 'approval to work'. I am waiting to get mine now: my contact is vey helpful but she and the organisation are new to this so I am not exactly sure about this. Then I will have to exit the mainland andapply for the Z visa. It is valid for 30 days during which time the employer must apply for the residencepermit...as Jabaroo described. Alsoa s she says some offices may issue the Z visa themsleves despite the regulatio but if the employer does not know ifthey can do this I guess they don't have the connections. Oh and DO NOT mention that you have already been working for the company a that would be grounds for refusal.

Jul 15, 2007 05:27
  • APAULT
Contrary to my last post and what a visa agent said in here...I am now having a Z visa obtained for me while on the mainland. I am a bit puzzled as I still hold my passport - perhaps they are processing it against a photocopy and it will be stuck in my passport later. I will not know for another 5 weeks for sure as the employer person is away until mid Aug. In the meantime I am n a valid tourist visa.

So if you are in the situation of being on the mainland and wanting o convert to a Z visa, get the employer to ask the PSB if they will process it. If they say no, you are no worse off!
Jul 17, 2007 04:57
  • LEEOVISA09
To Apault
I am much puzzled by your situation. The Z visa should be stuck on one visa page of your passport. Since you still hold the passport, how can the Z visa be applied?
Jul 17, 2007 23:52
  • APAULT
Yes Leeo, I agree! I guess that they are processing the visa to the point where they stick it in the passport then I will have to send the passport in. And so much for the regulations! I will update what happens as I find out! But not until mid late August as I am away travelling.
Post a Reply to: Need a Z visa, should my company do this, or do I?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code