Visa travel questions
Jul 15, 2007 06:14
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Aug 17, 2005
  • Status: offline
Hello All,

I am getting ready to return to China in a couple of months, and I have some new questions. This time, I think I want to fly into Hong Kong, stay there for a few days, then go to Zhuhai, on to Shenzhen, Guangzhou, northward to Wuhan, Xiangfan, back down to Zhuhai, and finally back to Hong Kong to catch my plane back to the US.

If I am reading my information correctly, I can go to Hong Kong for up to 90 days without a visa. So, my question is, if I go to Hong Kong first, then enter mainland China on my tourist visa, spend some time in the cities I have listed, and then return to Hong Kong, will there be any visa troubles? I know I can only enter mainland China once on my single entry visa, but can I return to Hong Kong to catch my plane back to America?

One more question. I understand that Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou are considered high risk areas for malaria and dengue fever. Should I get preventive medications for these before going to those places?

Thank you all for your help.
Jul 17, 2007 03:27
  • Points: 12
  • Join Date: Jul 17, 2007
  • Status: Offline
If you travel according to your schedule mentioned, there is no visa problem.

Be sure it is in the valid period of your tourist visa. It seems to me you will travel a lot and it takes some days...

When you return to HK for the plane to US, you don't need to re-entre China mainland (it is exit), thus you don't need another entry of the visa.
Jul 17, 2007 04:40
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
Yes there is some risk of malaria and dengue. I am not taking any medication and I don't think many expats do. I have not had much trouble with mosquities but a lot of trouble with small flying insects smaller than a pinhead, strewth, they itch for days, create a hard centre and one went bad...better now! Use personal insect spray and buy some room aerosol and u can reduce the risks. You can also follow the military standard, wear long shirt and trousers from dusk.
Sep 13, 2007 13:16
  • BRUNET192
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Sep 13, 2007
  • Status: Offline
Hello All,
I want to go to Chine in 3 weks for 2 weeks. I wish also to visint Hong Kong while I am there. Do I need any extra visa?
Thank you for reply.
Sep 13, 2007 13:54
I think that if you go to Mainland China, then HK, and then back into Mainland China for your return flight out, that is two entries into Mainland China, so you need a double entry visa, or else to get another single entry visa while you are in HK for your return leg.
Sep 14, 2007 12:27
  • BRUNET192
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Sep 13, 2007
  • Status: Offline
my name is chris, i also want to go to china via hong kong.
i ve found your post interesting so i want to ask you if there is a train service from hong kong to shanghai. how long it takes and how much it costs? how frequent it is? i am polish now in ireland.
can you also tell me if i have to apply for both visas in ireland here, or i can apply for visa to china in hong kong. how long i will have to wait?
i will appreciate your help.
have a good time in china.
Jan 23, 2008 08:51
GUEST28159 I have a question. I have a F visa single entry. I will be leaving mainland china to go to Malaysia and Thailand. Then return to mainland china(Guangzhou). At this point I would continue on to HK to change my visa to a Z visa. Will I have problems on my return leg getting from Guangzhou to HK to change my visa? When I return to Guangzhou I would need to buy a train ticket to HK.
Jan 24, 2008 17:52
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
When you exit to Malaysia that is the end of your visa so you will need to get a new one before coming to mainland China. To come to Gz tyou will need to get a visa, presumably a tourist visa in Malaysia or Thailand. You have no problems going to HK (for most nationalities) and you can easily buy a train ticket at Guanzhou East station. In HK you can aply for a Z visa (you cannot change a tourist visa to a Z (working visa). You will need the associated paperwork from your prospective employer - they should know what is required and send it to you.

Wouldn't it be easier to have your employer send the paperwork to Bangkok and apply for the Z visa there? Or maybe you want to get the paperwork from the employer in Gz yourself?

If you are unsure about Z visa requirements there are several recent threads on the subject. One by JimmyB is a copy of the regulations.
Jul 24, 2008 03:49
GUEST27001 Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are travelling at the moment. We met a couple of guys in Australia, who we are now good friends with. They are convinced we will not be able to get visas for China, as the rules have changed due to the Olympics. Apparently, the requirement is that you apply for the visa in your home country. The lads are currently in Aus and will be travelling to Japan in two weeks. My boyfriend and I, meanwhile, are on a working holiday in Japan.

Will we be able to apply for the visa from the Chinese embassy in Japan? The website only seems to talk about Japanese nationals and many of the blogs/forums I have read seem to indicate that our only option will be to Fedex our passports to the UK, for a relative to apply on our behalf and Fedex back 10 or so days later. In short, this isn't an option - we can't run the risk that the passports will be lost in the post.

Can anyone advise me? I work really frustrating hours, which means a visit to the Chinese embassy to ask this question is a last resort.

Cheers in advance for your time and effort in helping me!

Cat :)
Jul 24, 2008 06:57
  • Points:
  • Join Date: Nov 7, 2007
  • Status: Offline
You don't mention when you will be planning on applying for the visa? If it is after September then you might be ok. I am a British citizen and have got Chinese visa in other countries before. You just need to show proof that you have been out of your own country for more than 90 days (the validity of most standard L visas), meaning it would be impossible for you to do a 12 month trip around the world and visit China in the second half of that trip. However, all of this was before the Olympics restrictions, so I don't know how that will affect you. One thing is for sure, it won't go in your favour? Oh there is another thing for sure - anything you find on a Chinese embassy website won't be the true information - it is just there to confuse you and lead you up the wrong paths.
Jul 24, 2008 08:49
GUEST40228 Sorry, I'm a little confused. Our mates are looking to leave Japan at the end of August I think, which if I understand correctly is when the restrictions will still be in place - at the moment they are considering the alternatives, e.g. India.

We would be looking to leave Japan early October and we left the UK last October, so we will have definitely been out of the UK 90 days.

With that information in mind, could you please advise me, to your knowledge, whether we'll be eligible to apply for the tourist visa (L? We only plan on being in China two or three weeks, if that)?

Many thanks,

Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Visa travel questions
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code