Menu
Residence Permit - do I need another Visa?
Jul 19, 2007 13:34
  • SNAFU402
I lived in Beijing last year for 3 months, and my Residence Permit expires on Aug 23, 2007. I am now back in the US, but need to go back from July 28 until Aug 11. Do I need to get another Visa to get in, or is my old Residence permit sufficient?

Last year, I had a multiple entry F-Visa to get into China. Then once there, I got the residence permit, and my Visa was canceled. I have tried calling the consulates, but it seems impossible to get an actual person - if no one knows the answer to my question above, could you please tell me how to contact the consulate and get a real person?

Thanks!
Jul 19, 2007 20:23
  • APAULT
You should have a residence permit in your passport which is essentially a visa. It has not expired and provided it has not been cancelled you should have no problem re-entering China. You might check whether the organisation that got you the permit has contacted the authorities to cancel it. When I ended a period of employment the employer insisted I returned the Foreign Expert Booklet (as required by Z visa regulations) and that I got a tourist visa and had the Z visa cancelled.
Jul 20, 2007 00:44
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes if your permit is still current and not been cancelled then you should have no difficulty entering the country as it has in effect become your visa.
Jul 20, 2007 21:03
  • SNAFU402
Thanks for your prompt replies - it should not have been canceled, as I work for the same Chinese company now as I did then, but I just realized that I will need to travel more later in the year, so I went ahead and applied for another business visa... hopefully there will be no problems when they bring it to the consulate!
Jul 23, 2007 01:26
  • LEEOVISA09
Since you work for the same company, you can ask the company to renew the Residence Permit for work. Anyway, it's not as difficult as applying the first time you did.

The Residence Permit for work can be a visa allowing multi-entry.

Thus you can enter on July 28 by using your present Residence Permit. And ask your Chinese colleague to renew it right after you come to China. There are enough time if you stay there till Aug. 11.
Jul 29, 2007 03:53
  • APAULT
I anticipate that they will issue a new visa which will cancel the residency permit, then your company will have to apply again for residency ! Always try to getthe company to deal with these things, dontdo them yrself unless u have to:)

Please letus know what happens, so we can help others in the future.
Post a Reply to: Residence Permit - do I need another Visa?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code