Menu
Foreigner Marrying Chinese Local
Jul 23, 2007 04:07
  • KAIOTEE
I know there is already a thread on this topic, although my circumstances are a little different and I didn't want to take the attention away from the original author.

I used to live in China for a very short time (5 months) but during that time I began a relationship and we've been together for 14 months now... yes, I've been away from her for a while... I'm back in Australia now.

We have agreed to marry in about 4 years or so and I genuinely want to become a PR of China. Can anyone advise me what I can do in the time we have to make the process easier? We already have photos of us together and mutual friends. I am trying to get back over to China on a working Visa as a foreign teacher (the job I was doing when I met my partner) hopefully early next year.

We both want to marry in China, but I have no idea where to even start with residency, immigration, consulates, etc. If anyone can help my partner and I reunite with a positive future, please reply with any useful information you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

Kai
Jul 23, 2007 07:21
  • DODGER
Kai,
the Chines Consulate in Sydney has all the info on line that you need to be able to get married in China.
You only need a Single certificate to show that you are single.
Becoming a PR of China, if that is what you mean is quite difficult as I understand it.
The site says you will need US$ 500,000.00
Just being Married to you does not mean that she would be allowed to move back with you to Oz either. But keep all of you emails, letters and pictures as the Oz imigration people will want to see them.
Cheers and good luck.
Dodger.
Jul 23, 2007 11:23
  • KAIOTEE
Thanks Dodger, but I have no intentions on bringing her back to Australia, nor do I want to return myself. I have plans on doing everything I can to stay in China permenently. If i can start a business alongside her, then I'll definately jump at that opportunity, i've been looking at property prices and everything (yes I know all those regulations). By the way, could you tell me the name of that website please cos i'm a little confused... why are they telling us how much American money we will need? We dont use USD here... and $500,000... yeah right... there has to be alternate ways around that, like having a form of income. Anyways, if you could pass on that website, i'd really appreciate that, thanks Dodger.
Jul 23, 2007 20:53
  • MAY001
It's still hard for expats to become a Chinese citizen. Maybe you can find some clues in the website of China's Central Government:
http://english.gov.cn/

And, congratualtions to you and your wife!
Jul 23, 2007 23:03
  • KAIOTEE
Thanks May, i'll take a look at that website now.
Jul 24, 2007 23:10
  • KSWONG
Take it easy, man. There's no need to become a PR from day 1. Go to China, find your gf, get married, start a biz, have kids (not necessarily in that order). Before u know it, years would have passed. After 10 years or so, then you can talk about getting a PR with the local authorities.
Jul 24, 2007 23:35
  • KAIOTEE
I can see where you're coming from, but i wasn't sure if i was legally allowed to do any of that... and i have a few years still before i tie the knot so I was just checking what i could do with the time i had first, thanks for the advice though.
Jul 31, 2007 23:26
  • DODGER
Kai,
if you live in Sydney the Consulate is just down the road from Sydney Uni. It's in the phone book.
There English is Ok.
They do quote for PR in US $ though.
Cheers, Dodger.
Post a Reply to: Foreigner Marrying Chinese Local
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code