Menu
Hello, I will graduate in a few weeks. Where in China do I go?
Aug 8, 2007 09:11
  • WINDENERGY
JWASHWORTH,

Hello from a fellow ex-pat living in China. I have managed to live in 4 provinces over the last year-and-a-half. I have finally found a city that I believe offers international flavor, as well a large portion of Chinese minority populations. I suggest you decide ahead of time wether or not you enjoy the 'hustle-and-bustle' of the BIG CITY. Because China has lots of them. I come from Idaho state in the U.S.A and the capitol, Boise, would be considered a small town in China. I have lived in Changxing (small city in Zhejiang province), Xiamen (medium-sized city in Fujian province), Wuhan (colossal-big city in Hubei province) and am currently living in Kunming (large city in Yunnan province).
Asking for directions from local people is a real problem. In larger cities the streets are confusing to get around in. Taxi drivers try there best to understand foreigners, but have experienced more than one time a taxi ride taking me to unknown destination. If you can't pronounce Mandarin Chinese very well, then I would strongly suggest that you avoid big cities like Shanghai or Beijing.
If you like natural areas, somewhat clean and non-congested, Xiamen is a good coastal city to live in. However, it gets extremely hot and humid in the summertime. I choose to live in Kunming because the weather here stays mild all-year round. People here can understand my westernized-Chinese speaking and there are plenty of teaching opportunities at colleges, high schools or private schools.
Welcome to China! If you are ever in Kunming, then you can contact me via this website. I wish you luck and, as a parting suggestion....watch your cell phone and personal belongings, they can easily come up missing.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 9, 2007 21:13
  • JWASHWORTH
Thanks everyone! The more I learn about China, the more curious and excited I get about living there. Always good to make new friends.
I was thinking more about Shanghai, but now Beijing. I have lived in a Hawaii last ten years. I am acustomed to smaller towns/villages, but the big city makes me currious.
Well thanks a lot. If you have any ideas on the best place to live over there, feel free to write or even just to say hello.

Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Hello, I will graduate in a few weeks. Where in China do I go?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code