Menu
China's Pop Culture-From "Super Girls" to "Happy Boy"
Jul 24, 2007 01:46
  • KATRINA
On July 20th, 2007, the Chinese version of "American Idol" --"2007 Happy Boy singing competition" revealed the mysterious veil of its winners. 26-year-old Chen Chusheng claimed the "Happy Boy"top honor.

Chen, who has been a pub singer for 7 years, defeated Su Xing, a 23-year-old student returned from Australia, in the finale. This victory gave birth to a new pop icon of 2007.

This victory reminds me of the 2005 'Super Girls Contest". The androgynous girl Li Yuchun claimed the throne, and the finale drew about 400 millions audience. At the year, Liu Yuchun became a cover girl of New York Times. Before Li Yuchun, only one Chinese, Deng Xiaoping,who was the general architect of China's openess and reform policy, had such an honor.

Hunan Satellite TV Station is quite good at making new icons. After 3-year's successful "Super Girls" program, "2007 Happy Boy" was designed to creat another sensation.

From "Super Girls" to "Happy Boys", China's pop culture is giving birth to new icons. Is it a new transition?or it does not make any difference in nature?
Jul 25, 2007 04:37
  • YVONNE
China's show-biz is trying very hard to draw the audience's attention. Hunan Satellite TV Station is very good at catching the audience's eyeballs.

Pop culture is a an instant culture. The pop icons will soon be washed out.
Jul 25, 2007 23:01
chinese copy cats
the chinese always copy american tv shows i watched this one show and they copyed the show punked and they made it look so stupid and gay
Jul 26, 2007 03:49
  • EVENING
I don't like this super girls or happy boys.
They don't have the real talent in singing or performing. I prefer the traditonal singers who can sing very good even without any musical instruments.
Jul 27, 2007 00:24
  • JIMMYB
Chen Chusheng claimed the "Happy Boy" top honour

Post a Reply to: China's Pop Culture-From "Super Girls" to "Happy Boy"
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code