Menu
Will China become the No.1 innovative nation in the world 10 years later?
Jul 30, 2007 05:14
  • KEVIN0518
A survey made by an US organization revealed that American people are impressed by Chinese people's innovation ability and think that China will become the No.1 innovative nation in the world in ten years. Meanwhile, it also reveals that about 70% people think that US should invest more in some innovative areas. About two thirds Americans think that the enterprises should enhance their innvation ability.

Do you believe that China will exceed US in ten years and become the No.1 innovative nation in the world?
Jul 30, 2007 08:10
  • WCTMAN
No. The Chinese are very good at copying something, very likely the best in the world. But, very few original ideas originate here. Take a good solid look at the educational system at you will know what I mean.
Jul 30, 2007 15:30
  • GRIZ326
Very few things originate in China? Can you say "gunpowder" grasshopper? The ancient monuments you see all around you in Xi'an were technological marvels of the time. There is no reason to believe that the Chinese will not innovate in the future. ...pointing to the educational system and blaming it for stiffling critical thought is an old, dull and rusty saw.

Some people were born to create and innovate - those innate gifts can neither be taught or learned without the gift.
Jul 30, 2007 16:56
  • CHYNAGYRL
Chinese people are very good at copying things. ditto. But I think they can revive their creativity, since history shows that they are capable of being very creative.
Jul 30, 2007 23:16
  • JOHNNY512
I do not know whether China will become the No.1 innovative nation in the world 10 years later. What I have known is that China is reviving their creativity and is developing fast. J-10, Shenzhou man-made 5 and 6 vehicle, Loongson CPU and other hi-tech techonology and products are all made by their own. They are creative.

We have to admit that the pirate problem is very serious in China. In almost everywhere, you will see pirate DVD, books and other commodities. The IPR Infringement is a serious problem. Hope the government can find ways to solve this problem as quickly as possible by establishing laws or adopting other means.
Jul 31, 2007 17:43
  • WCTMAN
Very few things originate in China? Can you say "gunpowder" grasshopper? The ancient monuments you see all around you in Xi'an were technological marvels of the time.

Yes, I know. But we are not talking about ancient China in this context. In post 1949 China, Mao's China, creative thinking was something to be avoided at all costs. Yes, there is a great deal more creative freedom here now, but I don't see China taking the #1 ranking in innovation in a 10 year time frame. I refer you once again to the educational system.
Jul 31, 2007 18:42
  • GRIZ326
...and I say that blaming education is an old worn out saw that no longer cuts. In fact, the only true thing one can say about that saw you are trying to cut with is that it can't cut straight. ...but I'll elaborate in another thread rather than threadjacking this one...

Will China be the leading innovator in 10 years time? Maybe...maybe not. The 10 year time line depends on when all the pieces of modernization come together and achieve critical mass.

As JOHNNY512 rightly pointed out, China is doing a lot of impressive work these days. It doesn't have much visibility outside of specific disciplines, but China is making good progress.

Aug 2, 2007 01:36
  • TEKNOMED
It all depend on how China sells itself to the world. There is alot of technical innovations in China that is not accpeted by the world market due to biasness of consumers outside China and also a lot of "market protection" by big multinational companies who actually control the world market. Some Chinese Companies manage to sell their new innovations by registering a Company in the West especially USA and label their products as made in USA. Chines people are still very innnovative.
Sep 30, 2007 02:51
GUEST50129 [Note: the following is my limited opinion, not back by any stats or solid references]

In general, it seems the average laobaixing Chinese person seems to lack foresight and logical reasoning (favoring to explain their world in terms of "luck" and "ghosts"). And I DO NOT completely attribute this to the aforementioned rusty saw of the education system. Of course, the education system has an influence, but I think the primary factor is the cultural of the Han Chinese. For innovation to occur, team work is a prerequisite. i.e working with people other than your family. However, Han culture seems to promote: "I'm the best, my family is the best. If you're not my family, you don't exist in my world." One can clearly see the team spirit of the Han as represented by their football team.

Chinese is too broad of a term, I would guess that any real innovation that occurred in China's history could be attributed to copying Indians, Tibetans, Mongolians (..the Yuan dynasty anyone?), the Muslims (as represented by the Uyghrs and Hui minority peoples) or the Manchus (Qing dynasty anyone?). And as a copy, inferior to the original, thus perhaps losing effectiveness.

And if something actually was innovated, when it comes to function, it falls flat. Let's examine this "gunpowder" example that keeps popping up. The Chinese used gunpowder to make fireworks (in order to scare away bad luck producing ghosts), whereas the western world used gunpowder just as that, as a military technology.

And of the technological marvels of Xian, granted, the bingmayong (terra cota soldiers) are very impressive artifacts, but, again in the context of use, how do they stack up with something like the Roman aqueducts?
Oct 4, 2007 17:05
GUEST12496 "Chinese is too broad of a term, I would guess that any real innovation that occurred in China's history could be attributed to copying Indians, Tibetans, Mongolians (..the Yuan dynasty anyone?), the Muslims (as represented by the Uyghrs and Hui minority peoples) or the Manchus (Qing dynasty anyone?). And as a copy, inferior to the original, thus perhaps losing effectiveness.

And if something actually was innovated, when it comes to function, it falls flat. Let's examine this "gunpowder" example that keeps popping up. The Chinese used gunpowder to make fireworks (in order to scare away bad luck producing ghosts), whereas the western world used gunpowder just as that, as a military technology."

Chines people copied Mongolian, Indian and Tibetans? If Chinese technology is inferior copy of the others why are the Chinese doing better than all the other mention civilizations since we "copied" their superior technology. If you look at architecture of Tibetans, Mongolians, Japanese, Koreans and some SE nations they share the East Asian (originating from China) look. While I cant say the same thing about the Taj Mahal in India (and did India built anything in comparison to the Forbidden palace, Great Wall, Terracotta warriors, Summer Palace or Junk ships?). As for the Chinese not using Gunpowder for military purposes, I'm afraid your wrong again. The Song dynasty (around 12th century; even before Europeans) used bombs on Junk ships and catapults and trebuchets. Part of the reason why the Mongols stopped their advance into Western Europe was because they lacked Chinese sappers and engineers who used bombs to level walls. Also on the great wall the Imperial troops used bombs on the great wall to repel Mongol incursions.
Post a Reply to: Will China become the No.1 innovative nation in the world 10 years later?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code