Menu
New Chinese Garden In Australia
Jul 30, 2007 07:50
  • JOANNEL
Hi everyone, I live in Australia and have enjoyed travellng to China over the past four years, first for work, and then because once you fall for China, you have to keep gong back. I have been working on a joint project to build an authentic Chinese Garden, wth a distinctly Sichuan flavour, in the Botanic Gardens in Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. I have been working with a Chnese Landscape Architect from Leshan, Sichuan Prov. and she and a cllegue have provided the plans for a gorgeous garden and tea pavilion on the edge of one of the lakes in our Botanic Gardens. What a job it has turned out to be!! She speaks no English, and I have been learning Chinese for 2.5 years now, so we have had to have designs interpreted through Foreign Affairs(although i did send her my first Pinyin letter last week!! to which she replied in Pinyin-and you guessed it, I'm still interpreting the contents!) Anyway, even our interpretor had to purchase three new Chinese-English dictonaries to interpret the technical landscape drawngs for me!! Then there's the matter of the contract being converted into Austrlaian standards and not to mention many of the materials that are not available in Australia! My Australian architect, who was kindly converting the Tea Pavilion into Australian standard documentation managed to source a similar roof tile to those requred, but alas, they were made in Italy!!(not authentic at all!!), so enter another contact who happens to import a container load of interesting objects annually from Shanghai, and I might get my real Chinese tiles and bricks yet!! If you are ever in Australia, you must visit our Chinese Garden-we should be finished in 2008, and will be beutifully crafted. I'll try and post photos of the finished garden. We hope to operate authentic tea rooms from the pavilion, wth the help of a few expat Chinese who live in our city in Australia- if you can't live in China-then bring it to you!!!
cheers,
joannel
Post a Reply to: New Chinese Garden In Australia
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code