Menu
Children's mental health needs concern
Aug 2, 2007 20:20
  • JOHNNY512
According to a report, there are over 300 million children and teenagers in China, but over 40 million suffered mental disorders in cognition and study.

In recent years, juvenile delinquecy is skyrocketing in China. There are more and more " Problem Children" in China. A large number of teenagers suffered depression, and some even commited suicide.

Adolescence is a confusing time for teens. Parents should attach much importance to the psychological development of children and teenagers. Meanwhile, good parenting skills are also needed. Parents have the responsibility to help young kids to go through a peaceful adolescence.
Aug 2, 2007 23:57
  • WINDENERGY
With all the emphasis that the Chinese culture places on family, I am surprised to learn about these statistics. Responsible parents are, of course, the solution. I've noticed students (at the adolescent age) that are very responsible and diligent in their studies.

Since politics and the environment are huge issues in China, taking pride and ownership in making China a better place for everybody should be a priority. This means:

1) Helping the homeless and destitute to find a productive role in this society
2) Enacting environmental awareness curriculum in the classroom
3) Realizing that, through group efforts, China can be a much cleaner, safer and livable place if emphasis was placed on community culture, rather than an individual betterment, and
4) Less of a, "me first" more "let's do this together" minsets and values.

Having children in this turbulent and changing world is difficult. Raising children, while having to work is challenging. Maybe helping other children is a better idea than having your own, but this ideology requires personal sacrifices and a lot of faith.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 5, 2007 02:02
  • EVENING
I've noticed students (at the adolescent age) that are very responsible and diligent in their studies.

Windengery, do you know how they are reluctant to be so responsible and diligent?

Under the peaceful appearance is the heavy pressure from their parents and confused future.

Generation gap then comes out......
Aug 5, 2007 03:32
  • DAVEC
'Problem children' is something we have had for years here in the west and it is bad enough. But wait until they get to the 'hoodies' and go around in gangs attacking people, then you have a serious unmanagable problem. A recent survey in UK asked adults (over 40) about what they think of todays children, 60% said they are scared and if they see children in groups they would cross the road to keep out of their way for fear of being attacked.
Of course there is pressure on the younger generation but they will have to deal with it, after all we did.
If they think they have pressure ats a student then wait until they get wife,kids and a mortgage then they will know what pressure is.
Aug 6, 2007 05:16
  • YVONNE
"If they think they have pressure ats a student then wait until they get wife,kids and a mortgage then they will know what pressure is. "

Exactly, Davec. Not only Children's mental health needs concern but also the adults'. They all have pressure. Actually, living itself is a kind of pressure.
Aug 6, 2007 11:21
  • GRIZ326
Beware of news stories quoting statistics; disguised in the ink is a hidden agenda.
Aug 6, 2007 21:15
  • WINDENERGY
GRIZ326,

Thanks for imparting these 'words of wisdom'. However, their hidden agenda's mainly are for social programs to help adolescents became better educated.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 7, 2007 01:16
  • KATRINA
GRIZ326 is doubtful about the statistics. You seem to only notice the bright side of China. It is true that China is progressing, but it still has problems.
Aug 21, 2007 17:36
  • GRIZ326
True Katrina, I only comment on the bright side of China. You are correct Katrina that China has problems and the nature of them has changed considerably since my first visit in 1978.

China's history is filled with the terrible suffering of her people. Some how the Chinese people endured all of these difficulties and emerged generally healthy, happy, of sound mind and strong spirit. Now some statistician wants to take that away?

Please - life in China today is much easier than in say...1926, 1936, 1946 or 1956 just pick the year. It is my opinion that China has real issues to wrestle with in the years ahead. There is no need to manufacture excuses for 13% of the nation's young people who can now claim that "they have mental disorders" - therefore they cannot do this, cannot be blamed for that and must get special treatment.

The number of mental disorders in a country is directly related to the number of psychiatrists. In American everyone has an excuse. The one I love best is that "alcoholism is a disease." HA! ...and then it follows that, "I was raised by an alcoholic" that's why I am this way so you must excuse me. As an American of full-blooded Irish descent I can testify to the power and desire for alcohol that is built into my genes; it would be easy to allow myself to become an alcoholic; but self-control is a good thing. I don't like to make excuses; I prefer taking responsibility.

So China has 40 million young people who have some sort of cognitive disorder. How many of them have a crippling cognitive disorder? Those are the young people who need to have the special care and justifiably consume the resources of China; the rest must pony up and do the best they can.

Within this story there is a subscript and a hidden interest. I was a journalist for almost 20 years and saw these sorts of stories over and over again...all of them had a grain of truth and a ton of someone's special interest. I surely hope that foreign and domestic intellectuals do not succeed in burying China in happy horse manure. China's come to far to end up covered in it.
Post a Reply to: Children's mental health needs concern
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code