Menu
Will China develop into an asymmetrical power?
Aug 2, 2007 21:28
  • JOHNNY512
China's robust economic growth can almost overshadow any other countries in the world. However, China's military expenditure is a only a small portion of its GDP. Compared with some military powers like US, Russia, France and Britain, China's military industry still lags behind.

So here is a question: Will China develop into an asymmetrical power? In economy, it is a giant, but in military, it is not as powerful as it is expected to be. Some critics may argue that China's military budget is increasing every year. It's true, but the military budget is not in proportion to the size of China.

China seems to like to solve problems through diplomatic channels. Both the in-office President Hu and the former Chinese leaders are quite good at diplomatic skills. Should China develope into an asymmetrical power?
Aug 3, 2007 11:41
  • GRIZ326
Interesting thought.

Were China to begin a military build-up there would surely be alarmists screaming around the globe.
Aug 5, 2007 20:54
  • LEONARDO
An asymetrical power, economic giant, but a liitle weak in military? Will it occur to China?
Aug 6, 2007 04:55
  • YVONNE
Of course not. Just as you said, Johnny512. China's economy is developing fast and in the future he will be a economic giant. Meanwhile, China's military budget is increasing year by year. What does this suggest? China does not want to be an asymmetrical power. Some advanced weapons have been made, for example J-10. Definitely, China will not develop into an asymmetrical power.
Aug 6, 2007 17:09
Johnny, I'm not so sure if I have followed your logic correctly, but it does not seem to me that China's development is so assymetric as you suggest. I would probably have to review the numbers to be confident, but I think that China's military spending as a percentage of GDP may be in line with most other economically powerful nations. The exception is of course in comparison with the US, but In my view it is the US which has the unusually high spending proportion (assymmetric?). Few other nations could expect to replicate the US example without serious risk to their economic well being.
Aug 7, 2007 01:36
  • KATRINA
"Few other nations could expect to replicate the US example without serious risk to their economic well being. "

TRAVELLERMIKE, what you said is very true. Few nations can compare with US in military budget.
Aug 14, 2007 21:25
  • LEOPOLD219
Well, it is hard to give a povisitive or negative answer without hesitation. Before answering this question, one has to think carefullly and try to evaluate China's power in an overall way.
Post a Reply to: Will China develop into an asymmetrical power?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code