Menu
schooling in Kunming
Aug 4, 2007 01:22
  • KIWIS
Hello,
We are thinking of moving to Kunming for work. We have to boys of 9 and 13 years old. To be able to make a good decision we would like to know more about schools and education in Kunming.
Are there families in Kunming who are home schooling their children?
And we would like to get in contact with families who's children are currently attending the KIA international school in Kunming.
Thanks for your help
Hendrika
Oct 2, 2007 13:55
GUESTANDRIC TAN I need to know more about the school fees for my 3 children aged 7, 11 and 13. I will be working as an expat in Kunming coming November 2007. Please furnish me more information so that I can make preparations in near future for my kids education.

I am from Malaysia and my race is Chinese. I intend to bring my whole family including wife & 3 children to Kunming.

Please send info to my email address <tm.net.my|andric88>

Thank you.
Oct 6, 2007 11:55
  • JABAROOTOO
May I suggest you contact the International School in Kunming directly for the information you desire. There has been now response to the initial posting. Google Expats Kunming and see if you can find a local forum where you are morelikely to make contact with expats living there

good luck
Oct 17, 2007 01:28
GUEST11921 HELLO;

I LIVE IN KUNMING. I WOULD NOT LIVE ANYWHERE ELSE ON THIS PLANET.

I MOVED TO KUNMING (AFTER YEARS OF TRAVEL IN CHINA) IN JULY 2006.

I WRITE TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE NEW ZEALANDERS. I WOULD NOT RESPOND IF YOU WERE FROM EUROPE OR NORTH AMERICA.

YOU WILL FIND THE LOCAL PEOPLE GENUINE IN THEIR LIKES AND DISLIKES.

TEACHING JOBS ARE ABUNDANT. THE CHINESE WILL WATCH AFTER YOUR CHILDREN BETTER THAN YOU DO!

HOUSING COSTS ARE NOT HIGH. NEAR THE UNIVERSITY (GREEN LAKE PARK) YOU CAN FIND APARTMENTS FOR LESS THAN $200 U.S. FOR A FAMILY OF FOUR. THERE ARE RENTAL AGENCIES ON EVERY CORNER. GOING TO LOCAL MARKET IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE ACTIVITIES.

CARRE FOUR HAS A LARGE STORE FOR FOREIGN PRODUCTS. THE PRICES ARE REASONABLE.

I ENCOURAGE YOU (BECAUSE AS KIWI'S) YOU WOULD BE A POSITIVE INFLUENCE AND REPRESENT THE TYPE OF FOREIGNERS WHICH PROMOTE GOOD WILL.

YOUR CHILDREN WILL HAVE PLENTY TO DO AND BE ACCEPTED BECAUSE THE CHINESE ARE CURIOUS AND THEY DO NOT LET RACIAL PRFERENCES INTERFERE WITH THE PROSPECT OF LEARNING FROM FOREIGNERS.

THE CITY IS SAFE. THERE ARE LOCAL GANGS BUT THEY DO NOT BOTHER FOREIGNERS. SINCE WE ARE NOT PART OF THE LOCAL INTRIGUE OR ILLEGAL ACTIVITY. AS MY FRIEND WEI SAYS: "FOREIGNERS ARE SAFER HERE THAN LOCALS."

THAT IS IT IN A NUTSHELL

FROM HERE YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

GOOD LUCK

REM

Oct 19, 2007 00:02
  • JDUB
Sorry Guest11921 has such a low opinion of Europeans and North Americans. You should travel a bit more and maybe see people are the same (within reason) every where.
Nov 14, 2007 20:21
GUEST01179 Funny, isn't it? I met a lady from Alberta, once, who absolutely loathes and despises people form British Columbia (both provinces of Canada). I was fascinated and talked to her at length to see what the problem was. Diagnosis: a bit nuts. She seemed to need someone to feel superior to (a common enough human trait) but didn't need any intelligent reason to justify it..

Most Kiwis are good people, in my experience.
Nov 27, 2007 21:46
GUEST12926 As a resident of Kunming from the States, I -- as well as my children -- think of ourselves as guests of the gracious Chinese people. We enjoy learning and always try to be aware that regardless of how much we learn their is a far greater amount that we do not know. In short, humility is almost always the best approach when moving into a culture different than your native one (whether that be UK, OZ, NZ or, dare I say, the USA.
Feb 6, 2008 12:40
GUEST62128 Hello,
You said you lived in Kunming with your children. Do they attand the KIA or do you home school?
How is it for children to live in China? Are there enough sport and social activities for them?

I would be really pleased if you could answer me, because we will be moving to Kunming in August. But my boys do have to doubts and questions.
And by the way we are from Europe but live in New Zealand.

Elise van Petersen
Jan 20, 2009 14:36
GUEST68416 Hi, I want to spend time in Kunming and bring my 12-yr-old daughter so she can learn mandarin. She has had a few years of mandarin immersion in the states but is losing it. One on one teaching doesnt work for her because she is so social. How can I start looking for a sitution in Kunming where she can be around chinese-speaking children for a few months?
Jul 8, 2009 21:36
GUEST32102 Hi do you now lived in Kumeing ? where do your children go to school?
I am chinese my husband is Greman but we lived in the philippines we are thinking about come to Kunming my kids are 6 years and 10 years ,do you have any imformation about the school ? my Email is yahoo.com|wen_yumei

Thank you
Aug 14, 2009 09:35
GUEST20410 I have looked into KIA. It strongly promotion of Christianity. If you are happy about that, it is probably a reasonably good school. However, they pretend that they are open to all religions, but it is not true.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: schooling in Kunming
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code