Menu
Fellow travellers or a guide
Aug 4, 2007 04:55
  • SHAUNY
Hello. My name is Shaun and I teach and research in the UK. I aim to travel alone to China this summer (07) from around mid August for a month, starting in Beijing and probably tacking along the coast to Hong Kong or something like that. I am wondering if anyone else is doing or has done the same for some tips or maybe a meet up or whatever along the way. Or else maybe there are people who already live In Beijing or some of the towns/cities along the coast to Hong Kong that would like to meet up as a guide if I visit in exchange for practicing their english :) Cheers.
Aug 5, 2007 02:45
  • SUSAN205060
Shauny,

Yes, you can find some college students to show you around local cities and as language exchange , you help him or her to improve English.

Good Luck!

Yours sincerely,
Susan Zheng( China Tour Guide)
MSN: hotmail.com|Susan205060
Aug 5, 2007 23:24
  • APAULT
This is true, but it is not always easy to find someone. When the term starts you can look for middle schools and colleges but I think you will waste a lot of valuable time. Most young people are NOT able to chat in English even if they are studying it at school. Many of my English majors would also have had a problem holding a conversation (until the end of a year with me teaching, of course! Maybe!) It is exteremely unusual to find anyone who can speak English in Net bar even though it is full of young people. (But I also remember I couldn't speak French after 5 years learning at school!)

Many people will say 'hello' to you but that is all they know...if you ask them a simple question you will quickly find out which ones might be able to chat with you.
Aug 7, 2007 06:01
  • MADELINE
What u said is probably true, but what do you expect eh? This is China, not the UK, not the US, not Aussie, not even Singapore!!

No matter how poor our English is, at least we are trying to learn another language which takes a lot of time and effort, how many of you can offer people from other countries services in their languages???
Aug 8, 2007 04:53
  • APAULT
Please don't think I was making a criticism Madeline, I was saying to Shaun that he should not rely on finding English speakers...and as I commented I was useless at French after 5 years, and I am still useless at Chinese after 18 months.

Yesterday I did need help... and it came. :)

Aug 8, 2007 05:33
  • MADELINE
Well it does sound like a complaint to me,I just think it's a personal choice to visit or live in a foreign country, so you are the one who should make effort on communication, it's great that English speakers could still find ppl who are willing to learn English and offer help with their communication in Asia, but don't take it for granted.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, sorry Shaun, out of your topic, but good luck!
Aug 8, 2007 15:11
  • SHAUNY
Hello Madeline

Hey no problems, I am glad you guys have clarified your meanings etc betwen yourselves, although it has indeed as a result wondered a bit off topic for my original post... so..as for me, still lookig forward to coming and open to help from anyone out there along the way if around and able. I arrive next week for a month and will track from Beijing to Hong Kong taking in some of the major cities.

Cheers
Shaun
Post a Reply to: Fellow travellers or a guide
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code