Menu
Tibet Travel Permit
Aug 5, 2007 20:33
  • GERALDINE
We want to enter Tibet but have found so much conflicting info on the net I thought I would ask here instead.
We are in China from 28th August to 30th May and want to go in to Tibet - how do I get a TTP and what costs should I be expecting. We plan to fly in from Chengdu and take the train back to Chongqing. Some sites say minimum 10 days to get a pernit, we are not in any one place for 10 days- others say three HELP!!
Aug 5, 2007 22:01
  • GRYOKAN
You can approach any travel agent or even some guesthouses to obtain a TTP for you. I understand that these permits are generally issued only in Shangri/CD, I think. I got mine in CD and it costs me about 400 rmb and it was done within 2 working days.
If you stay at the guesthouse and make your travel booking thro them, probably you can get it cheaper. I would recommend this route.
Aug 5, 2007 23:13
  • ELLEN77
The Tibet Permit can only be got from the Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB), while the travel agency or the office for receiving individual tourists can handle the permit for you. And the permit now costs no fees, taking 2 working days at least, but you have to mail some of your information documents in advance, and when it is done, it will be mailed to the city where you enter Tibet. So asking a travel agency for help is a better way, but remember that the travel agency only do it for their clients.
Aug 6, 2007 00:04
  • GERALDINE
Thank you for your answers- Ellen what do youmean the permit now has no charge? Websites are saying 400-600RMB forthe permit?
Aug 6, 2007 00:09
  • ELLEN77
This is a new policy, the TTB begins to cancel the charge on the permit since July this year.
Aug 6, 2007 00:36
  • GERALDINE
Thanks Ellen77 - if I am only in Chengdu for a few days what would be the best way to make sure I get a permit and flight?? Hope you can help.
Aug 6, 2007 01:03
  • ELLEN77
It is quite easier for you to enter Tibet from Chengdu I think, which has the most flights to Lhasa, and also flights to Chamdo and Nyingchi in Tibet. But since it is the peak season, you also need to book the ticket in advance. I think you can find a travel agency or a TTB office to handle the permit for you 10 days in advance, which will make an assured acess. Don't worry, all of these will be very easilly got once you decide you tour.
I recommend you to browse http://www.tibettrip.com/essential/documents.htm
Aug 6, 2007 01:41
  • GERALDINE
Thank you VERY much for your help Ellen77 it has been very useful.
Sep 11, 2007 22:04
GUEST14014 I am planning to go to Tibet on my own in October, and would like to fly to Lhasa out of Shenzhen, does anyone know if one can get a travel permit to Tibet there? Thanks.

Marcelo
Post a Reply to: Tibet Travel Permit
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code