Menu
Chinese Culture
Aug 6, 2007 19:37
  • FLTRSPAM
I am dating a lovely chinese-american girl, and I will be meeting her parents in a couple of weeks. My girlfriend say I shouldn't worry about anything. But I am, I found a website www.chinetra.com that discuss chinese cultures & traditions. Are there other recommendations?

Thanks,

Kelvin
Aug 6, 2007 20:52
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Actually, Chinese have the same people. When asked to meet their girlfriend's parents, they will also feel uneasy and worried. They are worried that whether future his father and mother-in law accept them or not. I suggest you ask help from your girlfriend. Get much info about their parents and try to understand them as quicky as possible. For example, you can ask your girlfriend what her parents like and dislike. This is very important.
Aug 6, 2007 21:25
  • WINDENERGY
FLTRSPAM,

Well, if this girl's family is living in the U.S.A., then they are probably more interested in learning about the American culture than in knowing how much you know about Chinese culture. Chinese people hold marraige as a "sacred" rite. They probably would be interested in finding out how you plan to be able to support a wife and (hopefully) children.
I also suggest that you ask for help from your girlfriend. Find out wht her parents are interested in finding out about Westerners and western culture. You never know, they might be interested in finding out more about Bon Jovi and K.I.S.S.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 7, 2007 00:34
  • KATRINA
It is comprehensible that you are worried about meeting your future father-in-law, since it is the first time and very important for you and your girlfriends. You want to leave a good first impression on your girlfriend's parents. But don't worry too much, just act in your regular manner. As long as you are sincere and your passion towards your girlfriend is out of your inner heart, you will surely be accepted by your girlfriend's parents. Nothing to worry about.
Aug 7, 2007 06:23
  • DODGER
Katrina,
you are right and correct in you thoughts. A Father and Mother would worry about the same things if from east or west. That is what parents do...
Dodger.
Aug 7, 2007 23:21
  • LEONARDO
Love can conquer all: distance, skin-color, race, cultural differences. In face of love, all barriers will be dwarfed.
Aug 8, 2007 12:30
  • LIONPOWER
LEONARDO,
You are being a poet.
Aug 20, 2008 19:07
  • REMAG1234
FLTRSPAM, Your question has many answers but the biggest problem is you did not give enough information. Where do you live, where does your girlfriend live, where do the parents live????That's just for starters. Please fill in the blanks so that you can get intelligent answers.
Post a Reply to: Chinese Culture
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code