Menu
Overseas " Chinese Bananas"
Jan 4, 2008 14:28
  • JCNILE123
Sunnydream,

Quote, you are in-between of "banana" and "mango".

I do not know what you really mean but I have to laugh well;

I never imagine you can think so intellectually...

Seriously, I laugh a lot.

Jan 4, 2008 14:30
  • JCNILE123
(Young "bananas" might be a pain to their parents.)

You probably right.
Jan 7, 2008 19:44
  • LEONARDO
"But bananas have more white stuff than yellow stuff."

Romance, you understand "the problem" very well. Bananas have more "white identity". Yellow skin is the only trace of their "Yellow Identity".
Jan 8, 2008 05:16
  • DODGER
Leonardo,
I disagree with some of your thoughts.
The memory of what we are and were we came from is imbedded in our genes, so it can never be truly forgotten. It speaks to us through our bodies. It speaks through us from long forgotten ancestors. It will surface from our most innermost memory without our control.
And that is why we all try and rediscover our begging’s. Sadly for some of us it is long gone.
Dodger.
Jan 9, 2008 22:17
  • LEONARDO
DODGER,

I understand what you mean. Genes and blood tie matter in telling us who we are. However, Environmental factors do play a very important role in shaping a person's personality. For overseas Chinese grow up in a totally exotic environment, they received western education and accepted western values. Their ways of thinking and behaving are all western. I have ever encountered an 'ABC".
Her ways of thinking was extremely different from we Chinese peers, but in appearance she has the typical Chinese features.

I am not sure if you have ever heard the "wolf child' story in China. A boy who was abandoned by his parents immediately after he was born, he was adopted by a kind wolf and fed on the wolf's milk. He lived a life with the wolf for more than 16 years. After he was discovered by the "human world", he can not speak nor understand his fellow human species. There is a popular belief anthropologists: "you have to immerse yourself in a totally new environment in order to fully understand your own" ;but one problem may occur before you have a full understanding of your own: you take the risks of being assimilated and transformed.
Page 6 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Overseas " Chinese Bananas"
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code