Menu
A modern beggar?
Aug 8, 2007 04:27
  • KATRINA
Have you ever heard of this? A beggar can speak English. Meanwhile, he has his own 'business card' and blog. He is Xia Haibo who has been suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for a long time. The purpose of begging is to get enough money to cure rheumatoid arthritis because his parents are both farmers and can not afford the operation fee. During his begging days, he still keeps reading English novels and writing something. He said that he wants to be a writer in the future.

Some people applause for him. Xia is not frightened by the difficulties in front of him and never give up his study. While others do not think so. They think that Xia just takes advantage of people's sympathy to earn money. How come a beggar has his 'business card' , blog and cellphone?
Xia explained that he just wants more and more people know him and help him. That is why he made his business card. For blog, he says that he wants to write down his feelings of begging. And he believes that it will be a valuable experience in his life.

What do you think of this guy, a mean beggar or not?
Aug 8, 2007 05:22
I feel sorry for this man with his rheumatoid arthritis because my sister suffers with it and I know it's very painful.
It's good he has learnt English and making an effort to improve his quality of life, I have seen the beggars in China they are nothing like the UK version, over here they beg to pay for their drug and drinking habits, this I'm very much against.
Good luck to him.
Aug 8, 2007 07:08
  • DODGER
Katrina,
It sounds like he is working a scam to me. Some beg becauce they have too, but this bloke seems to have all of the skills to make it in the real world..English, phone, blog etc.

Dodger.
Aug 8, 2007 09:48
  • GRIZ326
I did a quick Google search for beggar blogs (2,000,000 results) and panhandler blogs (150,000 results); it is impossible to know how many of those results are actually blogs written by "beggars" or the more cynical term "panhandler."

If it were possible to look at a person and know whether they were sincere or an imposter it would easy to respond; unfortunately, that is not possible.
Aug 8, 2007 20:12
  • CALIFORNIA
A professional one???
Aug 8, 2007 20:13
  • MAY001
I won't give him a cent.
Aug 8, 2007 20:46
  • ZOEY
The strolling players play guitar or sing on the street to show their talent. Sometimes, people will give them some money willingly. They can not be called beggars, and they do not lose their dignity. However, some beggars usually take advantage of people's sympathy to earn money. They are professional.

For this guy, he is professional to some degree. But he is different from those professional beggars. He suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. Really, we feel uncomfortable to give money to him. If I meet him one day, I will give him money because he really needs help though it is hard for me to accept that he is a professional.
Aug 9, 2007 02:09
  • YVONNE
Some people are living a destitute life and are forced to beg; while there are still some others who take advantage of people's sympathy to work a scam. It is hard to distinguish who is the real and who is the fake.
Aug 11, 2007 06:08
  • BLUEYANKEE44
A Begger: Geeze,right up my alley. I say Hooray,for any person whom has not begged for a=something at one time or another,no matter how
trival,or in serious investment of one character,which is no doubt extrememly eroded,where some-one owes this person a living.We all do
our begging,regardless of what shape,or words we conjure to convey our selfish,or unselfless personality."All The World Is A Stage,and All
The People Are Its Actors",and some are very excellent at achieving such deeds,and do not live in "Glass Houses",but ,"Mansions".We
all make our own bed,and some people know how to wake up,and move ahead in life,while some just think about life.
Post a Reply to: A modern beggar?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code