Menu
HELP!! I want out but visa problem!
Aug 8, 2007 09:05
  • TBRILEY
Can anyone help me out here?

Im currently teaching in china but want out, but if i leave the school might cancel my visa apparently. Is it possible for them to do this? and if it is do i have time to leave the country or will i have to get another visa before i quit?
Aug 8, 2007 19:36
  • WINDENERGY
TBRILEY,

Thank you for your information concerning Guilin. Sounds like a fairly nice place to live....compared to some of the sprawling, overcrowded BIG CITIES I've seen. Yes, I have had problems dealing with Chinese-owned schools before...had to quit one job and got FIRED from another! But, there are always more opportunities here if you like teaching and can handle the (mis)behavior in the classroom.

Upon quitting (you should submit a 30-day notice), the school has to transfer your Z-Type Visa into a 30-day tourist Visa. This gives you 30 days to leave China without any penalty. If you stay longer than 30 days then the immigration personnel will fine you RMB (yuan), depending upon how much past your exit date you are. In any case, if you submit a 30-day notice, you will have 60 days to plan your departure.....a shortcut is just quitting, but the school can make it difficult (they have to get your passport to transfer the Visa), so I would recommend giving the school 30 days to find a replacement.

Sorry things didn't work out for you in Guilin...you might want to email me some pictures as I am interested in learning more about the Guilin/Yangshou are. If you give me your email address at my TCG.com mailbox, you won't get spammed. Don't give it through a public forum, however.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 11, 2007 03:47
  • APAULT
Assuming you were on a Z visa you now have a Resident's Permit. That is cancelled if you leave the employer. If you can negotiate with your current employer the Permit can be transfered to another employer. If not you should get a tourist visa... but see my comments today in another similar thread...... it may only be 15 days. If you just quit without doing this you will be in breach of visa regs as you are no longer entitled to the Permit.

If you are working on an F visa it is less clear. Some offices say you shouldnt be working as an employee on an F visa while others openly support it! In this case I think it would be harder for th employer to cancel the visa. An F visa is one whice entitles you to do or try to do business, and you are invited by a business or govt to visit for that purpose but it does not restrict you to dealing solely with that organisation. I think it would be less eassy for them to get such a visa cancelled..
Post a Reply to: HELP!! I want out but visa problem!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code