Menu
Christmas and new year holidays
Aug 9, 2007 13:31
  • OUDEN
can any one tell me Between Christmas and new year is also holidays in China and for who many days.
Aug 10, 2007 03:36
  • WINDENERGY
OUDEN,

No, it is not a holiday in China. I had to teach English classes from December 26-31st. However, many Chinese people observe the Western New Year's Eve celebration (another reason to shoot off fireworks!) and our school didn't have classes on New Year's Day. But, since Spring festival is held in February (it lasts for 21 days, I believe), the time between Christmas and New Year's is not considered a holiday.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 11, 2007 00:34
  • JABAROOTOO
No definately not a holiday, which is to be expected. New Years Day though has been given as a holiday since this year. Just one more strange holiday for the nation which does not traditionally celebrate at this time of the year.
In fact in some places Christmas Eve goes off with a larger bang then New Year's. I cannot understand why but it must be a misunderstanding regarding the week between Christmas and New Year that many in the western world do take off as a holiday. Christmas Eve is traditionally a quiet time spent with family or friends and many give thanks to Chirst at Late night church services too but New Year's Eve is the big party night around the western world to see in the NEW YEAR but it is a bit of an any climax where I live in China with no fireworks at all and no street crowds like Chirstmas Eve.
Aug 13, 2007 03:32
  • APAULT
Most schools/colleges (and maybe other employers who employ westerners) offer their western staff two days holiday for Christmas... Christmnas Day and Boxing Day (the English name for the 26th). Personally I prefer to decline as I don't celebrate Christmas and I and the students have to catch up the lost classes later.
Post a Reply to: Christmas and new year holidays
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code