Menu
How High is the Price of Materialism?
Dec 6, 2007 00:41
Whew! Finally got that out of my chest. It’s probably an unpopular stand but that’s my opinion and frankly, I don’t care whether people will agree with me or not. ^_^”

I happen to agree with you, Money is not the be all and end all, but it helps.
Alan.
Dec 6, 2007 03:10
  • LEONARDO
Hi SHESGOTTOBE,

Yeah, there are many threads on this forum that "deal about money, material possessions, rich husbands, etc.". You have almost browsed all of them.( As I know, you have covered most of them. I joined in this forum for only several months).

I appreciate your ideas very much and I am 100% in favor of this idea:
>>Having wealth is good but that doesn’t guarantee or even a sign that people with more money are happier. Not even close. More comfortable maybe, but not happier.<<
Well, I am not sure if money is good or bad, but I know that money is very important in modern society.Certainly, money does not mean everything, but it means something for humans to make a living.

"I am not saying that having and wanting money is bad per se, but one should not abandon or lose sight of the things that really matter in pursuit of money. I think people have to reflect on what is it that they really value in life."

This is very well-said. Can I interprete this idea as follow: The pursuit of material possessions is not something humiliated. Material affluence can make us content and comfortable physically. However, we need to be satisfied both physically and emotionally. Right, we have to reflect on what we really value in life.

Once upon a time, I got totally lost about the value of life. I equated personal fulfillment with material possessions, and I dissented with my mom on this issue. However, finally I realized that I was wrong after I finished my gradution paper. At present, I still value material affluence, but not to the extent of frantic and blind pursuit. I take material success as a kind of motivation. Human needs to be motivated. Looking for a better life is the motive for development.

Thanks Shegottobe. You are quite honest and open-minded. I like to be associated with honest people. Thank your for openning your heart to us.

Dec 6, 2007 20:25
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Right on, Sir Alan! Certainly helps with traveling. ^_^

~~

Thank you very much, Leonardo. It is my great pleasure to get acquainted with you as well. :-)

I am more of a neophyte than you are since it’s not even a month since I joined the forum.
Dec 13, 2007 19:39
  • LEONARDO
SHESGOTTOBE

You are welcome. I should also say thanks to you. Your posts are full to humor, optimism and intelligence. I have learnt a lot from. Your attitude towards life impressed me a lot.
Aug 4, 2009 20:46
GUESTUSA Have a look at the overspent American families, you will understand how high the price of materialism is! It is at the cost of U.S national economy. The indulgent parents instilled materialism on their kids (buy expensive stuff for their kids to meet their untaming material desire in good economic condition). Now, how could they contain their kids' mounting desire to buy new expensive stuffs( New model Iphones, MP5s) during the economic recession?
Aug 7, 2009 10:29
GUEST11050 I shamelessly agree with Shegottabee’s outlook on life. She comes across as a very sensible person. Her IQ (intelligence quotient) appears to be exceedingly high—possibly off the scale. Viewers with low IQ like me can benefit from reading her comments or thoughts. This is definitely more refreshing than reading comments from “Down + under”. Some old fart pretending to know it all—so condescending, so arrogant, and so insensible. Late Michael Jackson had a lot of money. Was he a happy person?
It boils down to a matter of balance or dosage of essential elements to maintain mental health.
Gee Kam Chung.
Mar 21, 2010 03:29
GUESTETEXSAI... hi im inventive here judgement to bag together with taste pepole and dispensation accoutrements here....
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How High is the Price of Materialism?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code