Menu
Princess of Peacock Dance, do you know her?
Aug 15, 2007 04:59
  • SUNNYDREAM
In Yunnan Province, Peacock Dance is quite popular to show the love affair between boys and girls.

Yang Liping, a Bai nationality girl in Dali, performs the dance to a perfect level. It seems no one can be parelleled to her.

Have you seen the dance? Do you know her?

Aug 15, 2007 07:21
  • FAISAL
Ni I did not knew about Peacock Dance in China
Aug 15, 2007 18:33
  • WINDENERGY
Yes, I've seen her perform! The Kunming Theatre is holding "A Grand primitive song and dance medley" nightly at 8:00 p.m. on Beijing Road. I was lucky enough to go with 2 friends last July and watch the performance. Yang Liping wqas, of course, the star of the show and her solo dances were extraordinary. In the first set, the audience could only see her silouette (shadow), as she danced in front of a full moon. Her long, slender body moved like a rubber band (or maybe a winding snake would be a better metaphor). She was stunning! During the Peacock Dance, she moved her arrms like a bird, but her elbows appeared to be double-jointed! Her arms were able to simulate the movements of a peacock perfectly.

The whole show was a dazzling display of colors, lights and sounds and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Kunming.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 15, 2007 19:55
  • CHRISTINE
  • Community Moderator
Yes, I've heard about the Grand Primitive Song and Dance in Kunming. It is said that the performance was arranged by Yang and she chose many native minorities who has seldom been trained before.
Aug 15, 2007 20:03
  • JIMMYB
Wow, Yang is a brilliant and talented dancer. Her performance is gorgeous.
Aug 15, 2007 20:30
  • WINDENERGY
Yes, the Native Minorities from Yunnan make up this whole medley, known as "Dynamic Yunnan". My friend pointed out to me, after the show, that there were some scenes that displayed the 'interference' of the Han Society with the Yunnan minority groups. The drums and dancing where mesmerizing and I wasn't looking into any 'deeper' sense of this medley, although the sensuality and vivid colors displayed told me that the Yunnan minorities cultures are very intricate and sensual. The Epilogue was the Peacock Dance. I believe as a tribute to Yang Yiping, the following was written:

Spirit of the Peacock

Where are you dancing?
Your profile looks as lonely as the moon,
feathers from clouds descending.
Where are you dancing?
Your dream omen is at anyone's guess,
Skirts on the rainbow spinning.
Spirit of the peacock
Where are you dancing?
Where are you dancing?
Mar 8, 2008 21:58
GUEST88146 I have seen this show 2 years ago in Kunming and it was stunning.Just wonderind if is any possibility to buy video tape or DVD of that show. Any help will do.
George Revson
Sydney
Mar 10, 2008 22:56
  • RITA
Since I heard that taking a picture with her cost 20 or 50(or whatever) my impression about her changed.
May 18, 2010 21:35
GUESTIRIS Oh, I know little about Peacock Dance, from now on, I know it is to show the love affair between boys and girls.
Yang Liping, wildly known in China, is a talent. It seems no one can be parelleled to her nowadays. But once I watched a performance by her niece, maybe, she will be another Yang Liping in the near future.
May 18, 2010 23:18
GUESTDAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by RITA

Since I heard that taking a picture with her cost 20 or 50(or whatever) my impression about her changed.

When a person gains fame, he/she also gains money easily. I think that she has successfully transformed from an artist (a dancer) to a business women. I'd rather spend 20 yuan dining in KFC than taking a photo with her.
Jul 5, 2011 11:54
GUEST15457 i watched that when i visit lijiang, yunan and kunming in april. i'm so amazed for the peacock dance. everything is perfect, welldone yang liping. i love you
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Princess of Peacock Dance, do you know her?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code