Menu
Renewing a Visa a second time
Aug 17, 2007 07:11
  • VAGABONDER
I have sort of interesting situation which I hope to get some insight on. Up until the end of July, I was a teacher in Liaoning Province on a Z-visa and Foreign Worker's Permit. At the end of the school year, I made the decision to move to Beijing and see non-teaching related work. The University I was working was able to secure a 30-day F-visa. I was told that once I got to Beijing, I could then apply for anothe visa.

However, now that I'm in Beijing, the private visa offices I have contacted said that I would most likely have to leave the country to do this.

I have two questions: Is there any way around leaving the country to renew my visa again.

If I do have to leave the country to renew my visa, could I do this in Mongolia or S. Korea (it might be cheaper to get there from Beijing), or is Hong Kong the best option to get this done quickly?

thanks

JB

Aug 18, 2007 01:51
  • JABAROOTOO
First go to your local PSB and apply for the longest F or L visa you think you can get. They at least will be able to tell you what the next step will be if they will not renew it. Don't leave it too late.
I have no idea what the cost of going elsewhere than HK but HK is far the simplist even if is may cost a little more. You may be able to get cheap flights to Shenzhen and Guangzhou and all you need is one day if you get there before lunch at most overnight or base yourself in Shenzhen and go in early and out late in one day.
Aug 18, 2007 01:53
  • JABAROOTOO
Oh, and don't make out that you are looking for work. You could get a couple of months on a tourist visa if you show them an itinerary after all it is not unusual after finishing a contract to stay on travelling around the country for several months.
Aug 20, 2007 01:53
  • APAULT
You have the stanbdard problem at the end of a Z visa. You are normally granted a non-renewable tourist visa on the basis that you need time to clear up and leave but that your employer is no longer responsible for you.

My employer was only able to get me a 15 day tourist visa and when I unknowingly came to renew I was told it was not permitted, you must apply from outside. Crazy cos people often want to travel after teaching. I actually got a 7 day extension.

As J says, do not say you are looking for work as that is specifically banned on a tourist visa...and is I assume, why we are not supposed to be allowed to apply for a Z visa from within mainland China... though a local office has promised to process mine... we shall see!

Sep 6, 2007 02:52
  • KEVINLU
As far as I know, many people go to HK beause it is visa free for people from many countries.

You had better double-check if you need a visa to go to South Korea or Mongolia.
Sep 7, 2007 06:09
  • APAULT
And I as I stated elsewhere, I will have to go to Hong Kon g, they will not preocess my Z visa here after all....ahhhh, China !
Jan 4, 2008 23:58
GUEST16019 I am married to a chinese woman and my visa expires on 6th feb, how do I renew it?
Can I get a spouse visa?
Do I have to leave china?
I was teaching and have now finished. The school renewed twice, but only 3month F visas

Please help

Garry Dawson
Jan 6, 2008 00:02
  • APAULT
I am not experienced on spouse visas, but as I understand it you seek a tourist visa (L) on the grounds of visiting family. I was recently told by a foreigner married to a local that his visa is valid 12 months and he renews it within China. But maybe you might have to exit for the first one.

He ran into some complications because his Chinese wife also had residency overseas, and he did have to exit to his OWN country.

The easiest way to find out the way the rules are applied in your province is to do as Jabaroo says above - visit a PSB with a translator and ask. Ideally, talk to someone with whom you have 'connections'.
Post a Reply to: Renewing a Visa a second time
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code