Menu
Is China's Contribution to the global civilization declining?
Aug 22, 2007 01:44
  • KATRINA
Recently, a former senior official from China's top cultural organization claimed that the Chinese contribution to the global civilization has declined since the " Four Great Inventions"(Gunpowder, Papermaking, Printing, Compass). This statement provoked diverse responses. Some people strongly favored the statement and stated that China had lagged behind for several centuries. Obviously, its contribution to the world had always been declining after the " Four Great Inventions". On the contrary,others believe that the Chinese people has always made great contribution to the global civilization, and the contribution is increasing.

Well, personally,I think that it is hard for the Chinese to have an unbiased and clear mind to judge this issue, since they are part of China. Just like a quote from Griz goes," a person "cannot see the forest for the trees" when immersed in the situation."

So, I think, for this issue, the bystanders(non-Chinese) may have a more balanced perspective. What is your view?
Aug 22, 2007 08:58
  • GRIZ326
It depends on how you are going to define contribution and how you will measure the contribution. China has certainly contributed to the global population. Correct? ;)

But the top official is really talking about technological contributions. Now that China has joined the modern world Chinese technological contributions will begin again; there are many great minds in China.
Aug 22, 2007 20:03
  • MIRANDAZHAO
Griz, I agree with you. In terms of technical contributions, China has left far behind since the Industrial Revolution in 1760s. The " Four Great Inventions" are the former glory of China. Should Chinese people be proud of them, of course should. However, Chinese people shouldn't be trapped in the past, since past has passed." A civilization has gone with the wind!"
Post a Reply to: Is China's Contribution to the global civilization declining?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code