Menu
Advice on education system
Aug 27, 2007 11:51
  • TOAD
Is there a standardised schooling system in China. What grade would a typical 13 year old be in? Is it difficult to enrol a child in a 'local school'
Aug 27, 2007 19:56
  • WINDENERGY
Yes, toad, there is a standardized schooling system in China. A typical 13-year old would be in either Level 2 or Level 3 Middle School. Where I taught Middle School, the children would start school at 6:30 a.m. and have 4-5 classes before 12:00. Then they have a break until 2:30. Then from 2:30 until 5:00 there would be 3 more classes. Following this, there would be another break until 7:00, at which time the students then had 2 or 3 more classes in the evening.

Because of the competitive nature of Chinese schooling, school is a very important part of evry Chinese child, all the way through their teens and into their 20's and even 30's. Most of my students don't have a job until they have finished their schooling. I was surprised to learn how many 25 year olds in China have never had employment and lived from money provided by their parents.

__WINDENERGY__
Aug 27, 2007 21:51
  • TOAD
Thanks windenergy. I'm thinking of bringing my little girl over and plug her into the local system instead of some 'international school'. Will local schools accept foreign students and when does registration start for the next academic year?
Post a Reply to: Advice on education system
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code