Menu
Can you give me some hints of western table manners?
Aug 30, 2007 03:25
  • ICEBLUE
Hi friends,

I've just found this interesting community and would love to chat with all of you.

I will attend a dinner with some foreign friends next week. I'm a little worried about the table manners. Are there any special etiquettes that I should pay attention to?

Your ideas would be most appreciated.
Aug 30, 2007 03:50
  • GURTY
It is polite to talk while having the dinner.
Try not making noise when having the soup.
Never suck your finger or chopsticks(if there are) after the dinner, you may use the soft paper provided by the restaurant.
Aug 30, 2007 06:07
  • DODGER
Iceblue,
just stay relaxed and watch whay others are doing.
What country are they from?
Dodger.
Aug 30, 2007 19:54
  • DYLAN0428
China is western country??
Aug 31, 2007 03:17
  • ICEBLUE
Thanks both Gurty and Dodger!
And Dylan, China is of course not a western country.

Dodger, my four friends come from different countries. Two are Britishand two are Australian. Your idea is smart. I will learn to observe.... ^_^
Sep 5, 2007 13:10
  • GRIZ326
If it is a western style meal, eating with chopsticks would be difficult, ICEBLUE. I presumed your question had to do with eating with multiple forks, knives, and spoons.

My mother always told me to use the proper utensils for the course in the dinner and take the utensil from the outside and move to the inside. The method also applies to glassware, however, the waiter or waitress is responsible for knowing which glass to use.

For instance, if the main course is prime rib when the salad arrives at the table, you use the small fork on the outside of the fork silverware; when the main course arrives you use the big fork. The same is true the knives; the sharp knife would be for the meat and the dull knife would be used to butter your dinner roll. While bread may be cut in the kitchen, it is generally "broken" with your hands at the dinner table. The big round spoon is for soup (when we were children we used the other spoons to shoot peas ;-) ).
Sep 5, 2007 13:12
  • GRIZ326
...oh...the outside of either the right side or the left side of your dinner plate.
Sep 6, 2007 00:39
I wouldn't worry Iceblue as your friends will be equally worried how they should behave, just enjoy each others company.
Sep 6, 2007 06:58
  • DODGER
And let us all know how the dinner went. Did you spill food, did you choose the correct knife...and did you have a nice time?
That is the most important thing. The dinner is just a reason to get together and talk after all.
Dodger
Sep 15, 2007 22:04
  • ICEBLUE
Thanks for all your kind advice.The dinner is OK. Although, at the beginning of the dinner, I was a little bit clumsy with the forks and knives, but I bacame used to forks and knives very soon.

Dodger, I followed your advice:"just stay relaxed and watch whay others are doing", then I immitated.
Sep 16, 2007 02:19
  • DODGER
Iceblue,
glad to hear that all went well with the dinner.
Cheers, Dodger.
Post a Reply to: Can you give me some hints of western table manners?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code