Menu
What will you say when you wanna give tips to your tour guide?
Aug 31, 2007 03:05
  • ICEBLUE
Hi friends,

Do you usually give tips to your tour guide? If so, what will you say to them?

Last year when I guided guests of my university to visit the campus, the gentleman gave me three dollars by saying: 'Could you please do me a favor?'

I was a liitle puzzled at first, then he explained to me and I understood it was just tip. : )

How about you? What will you say or you just remain silent?

Sep 3, 2007 04:57
  • ICEBLUE
No reply? : (
Sep 21, 2007 13:10
  • CARLOS
During my first trip to China I asked lao po in all places, do I give tip. No tip, she said. So, I don´t give tip.
Oct 4, 2007 13:09
  • APAULT
Yes, China should prevent this horrible western custom from taking root. For the tyypical employee it means that wages will be reduced. in theUSA where tipping is at it most extreme, wages for waiting stff are abysmally low. Then if you get bad service which is not the waitperson's fault you either force them to suffer or you give in and pay up when you are dissatisfied. In the same vein I remember once in the USA when we received bad service and my host said, 'I'll just leave a 15% tip, that will teach her!' He obviously hadn't heard of Pavlov!

We don't tip bus drivers, dentists, teachers, goevrnment officials.......or if we do it's called CORRUPTION, so let's be consistent and not tip at all. (OK, I'm an Australian and we have reputation for being the world's worst tippers!)
Oct 4, 2007 15:43
  • JCNILE123
One must use common sense and must not force a tip on to a person.
The other person can graciously say no to a tip, and it is ok too.
I have been thru that many times and sometimes it fills good to hear no, thank you.
I have respect for the ones that takes tips, so much as for the ones that said no, thank you.

(Quote) Yes, China should prevent this “horrible” western custom from taking root

After traveling around, I realize that we the people of the USA are by far the most well
paid for what we do as employees, and we also have the largest employment opportunities in the globe, as long as
we want to work, there always is a job.
Better, off, if we do not like it, there is another job waiting for a worker around the block.
We are a bless community with a large pull of employment available as no other.
What is more important is that if an individual do not like the jobs available on his/her city he/she can go any where
in the USA without any concern.

(Quote) in theUSA where tipping is at it most extreme, wages for waiting stff are abysmally low

Waiting staff has an average pay of $2.50 per hour, their income is mainly made of tips.
I have some knowledge about this matter; I have a niece that works at a major
restaurant chain in the USA, with an income of $2.50 per hour, but the important issue
is that she is one year away from finishing college, she buy her personal items and
makes monthly payments on a brand new car, pay car insurance, and have an average income of $1800.00 US dollars at month,
not bad for a twenty-three years old girl going to college.
“This horrible custom” is something that makes life a lot better for a very large other wise non-productive group in the
American society (the students).
I wonder; how many Chinese young people will think of this as a “horrible way to make a living”.
Moreover, how many of them will like this “horrible” opportunity.

(Quote) (OK, I'm an Australian and we have reputation for being the world's worst tippers!)

MR Paul by your statement about Australians, I think your insularity against the issue is of no good to the Chinese People.
Oct 5, 2007 23:47
  • LIZXLI
Why not give a gift to the tour guide?I think,present is more preferable.
Oct 6, 2007 09:03
  • JCNILE123
Yes lizxli, you are right about it, however, to understand tipping, as we the people
of the USA see it, such is impractical, because we see tipping as an spontaneous act of the
moment and not a premeditate one.
We react to the kindness of the people and good will of the person in front of us at the specific
moment in time.
Therefore, it is a way to say thank you, for the occasion and the privilege to be serve by you.
However, as Mr Paul mentioned previously, I must say that a poor service will be follow by a
nothing tip, we also differentiate twin good/poor service from the waiter/server and the establishment
he/she works for, that’s the American way.
Be aware, there are cheap penny picker people in the USA too, not that many, but this few will look
for a reason, why not to give a gratuity, to which I say, they just don’t have to give nothing,
and it is ok too.
Oct 7, 2007 08:16
  • LIZXLI
Dear JCNILE123,

Kindly please do not forget the fact that here it is in China,not in the USA.

Undoubtly I have never thought of immigration,while instead I would like to stay in China forever.
Oct 7, 2007 10:20
  • JCNILE123
Lizxli, you raised a very important point, as a matter of fact, two points.
We, the people of the USA, have lost interest on proselytism and missionary work around the world.
I can assure you that we as the people from the USA, have no interest whatsoever on making china or
the Chinese people a copycat of our traditions,
however, as people, we are fast learners: traveling around China, it does not
hurt our feeling if a person does not take a gratuity, and by the end of the trip
we just found our selves doing it a lot less often.
Personally, I credit my girl friend with, “George, no tip, George”, almost every day, l think she
said that more than, the times she said “I love you”. (just a joke)
On the other hand, serving as a host country, our service people in the USA will serve our
Chinese tourist equally well without a tip.
I work as a finance manager for Chevrolet and so, I know for fact that our sales people do not
make lots of money on a sell to a Chinese or Asian customer.
however, they serve them good as they serve all other customers, same service as to the customer
that let them make good money. American society is a very rich picture with many colors, and not just
black and white, as some will like people to think.

Immigration is a need and not a pleasure, people immigrates for many reasons,
most of the time, the pleasure is in the byproduct of immigrating.
I love the USA, but I dream to immigrate to China in the future, for my future wife, future daughter and me.

jcn
Oct 7, 2007 18:06
  • PETERJOHN
jc, it's funny what you said about missionaries, because last weekend I met a young lady from China who is here in the US working as a missionary. The tables have turned!

I think a tour guide will have a lot of experience with this since people from some countries tip and others don't. I would think that they are offered tips very often, and if they don't like tips, they can just say "no thank you." It's part of working with people from different cultures.

But I do not leave tips when I am at a restaurant in China. I ALWAYS leave a tip when I am at a restaurant in America (maybe a smaller tip if the service is bad).
Oct 8, 2007 23:12
  • JCNILE123
PeterJohn. How interesting!
A Chinese missionary in the USA?
Interesting!
Post a Reply to: What will you say when you wanna give tips to your tour guide?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code