Menu
Four Renowned Buddhist Mountains VS Four Celebrated Taoist Mountains
Sep 3, 2007 20:29
  • MAY001
No, Taishan is called the Leader of Wuyue(五岳). 岳 means high mountain and ancient people believed there are gods living in 五岳. And even emperors came to fete the heaven and gods in these holy moutains.

五岳(Five Mountains) are:
Mt. Taishan in Shandong Province (东岳/East Mountain);
Mt. Huashan in Shaanxi Province (西岳/West Mountain);
Mt. Hengshan in Hunan Province (南岳/South Mountain);
Mt. Hengshan in Shanxi Province (北岳/North Mountain);
Mt. Songshan in Henan Province (中岳/Middle Mountain)

Sep 4, 2007 01:40
  • PETERJOHN
Thanks, May, I didn't know that. I have a friend who lives in Tai'an at the base of Tai Shan. Some day I will go there and climb all of the steps myself.
Sep 4, 2007 02:31
  • FAERIEQUEENE
May, wiki classified the Five Mountains 五岳 as the five Taoist Mountains, not four, and they are associated with the Pangu legend you told us last time:

"According to Chinese mythology, the Five Great Mountains originated from the limbs and the head of Pangu (盤古/盘古 Pángǔ), the first being and creator of the world. Because of its eastern location, Mount Tài is associated with the rising sun which signifies birth and renewal. Due to this interpretation, it is often regarded as the most sacred of the Five Great Mountains. In accordance with its special position, Mount Tài is believed to have been formed out of Pangu's head." (wiki)

I still do not have an idea why the other 4 mountains are holy.
Sep 7, 2007 03:09
  • KEVIN0518
FAERIEQUEENE, usually the five mountains mentioned by May are considered as the five scared mountain in China. They do have something to do with the Taoism. However, the characteristics of Taoism have become faint. People are much concerned about the natural scenery and landscape or something else. Considering the four celebrated Taoist mountains, there are many legends and myths about the sages or immortals of Taoism. I think that is why they are famed as the four celebrated Taoist mountains.

Here is a link: http://www.sacredsites.com/asia/china/sacred_mountains.html There you might find something informative.
Sep 7, 2007 03:35
  • FAERIEQUEENE
Indeed very informative, Kevin. So the hermitage of those legendary sages and mystics, the chivalry of the Taoist and Buddhist 'orders' on top of these mountains are not pure inventions of Jin Yong. He must be a great traveller too.
Sep 11, 2007 02:13
  • ICEBERG
What a pity! I have never been to these holy mountains. After getting some info from these thread, I am eagar to climb them and experience Buddhism and Taoism cultures on those mountains.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Four Renowned Buddhist Mountains VS Four Celebrated Taoist Mountains
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code