Menu
Will India overtake China?
Oct 4, 2009 18:37
  • MARRIE
India has hold on to democracy politically, which can logically infer that India should have been a super power long time ago. However it is not the fact.
Oct 4, 2009 18:56
  • BOBERT
China is not a superpower yet either Marrie so your comparison is flawed. India became a democracy on January 26 1950, 59 years ago. China became communist on October 1 1949, 60 years ago. Both countries still have a very long way to go before reaching superpower status. There is no guarantee that either will but based on empirical evidence I believe Indias chances are better than Chinas. Only time will tell which system will prevail.
Oct 4, 2009 20:10
  • MARRIE
The ideology system does not counts any more because the tech. and economy has dominantly taken over in belief system in today's China.

If u insist on doing comparsion, my suggestion is taking the sample of HK whose substantial development started in the late 1960s and now it has become the global commercial and financial center.

And I believe that the competion is fair and dynamic on the assumption of dumping the rubbish ideology systme. And we hope China will be listed #1 in the future just like the the way the skyline ranks!

Last edited by MARRIE: Oct 4, 2009 20:22
Oct 4, 2009 20:25
  • MARRIE
And in the near future, Shanghai will take over HK according to the the central gov. strategic plan.

The world's best skyline, Shanghai

Oct 4, 2009 22:27
  • BOBERT
"If u insist on doing comparsion, my suggestion is taking the sample of HK whose substantial development started in the late 1960s and now it has become the global commercial and financial center."

Hong Kong only came under communist rule in 1999! Just TEN years ago! By your own admission Hong Kongs "substantial development" was achieved in the previous 40 years which was under British (democratic) rule. It could even be argued that Hong Kong has even gone backwards in the last ten years.

Hong Kong "has become the global commercial and financial cente" What absolute rubbish! Ever heard of New York? If you believe a cities skyline rateing determines it's financial status then you are dreaming. Your ideology is narrow-minded and your overt nationalism reflects a deep seated paranoia which borders on being dangerous Marrie. Your mind is closed and any debate with you is futile.
Oct 5, 2009 08:51
  • DODGER
I don’t want to sound like I am a pedant but almost up to the hand over to the mainland Hong Kong was a Crown Colony ruled over by a Governor, a representative of the Queen and appointed by the UK parliament. It was only in the closing stages that a type of democracy was put into place. Probably more like a parting shot at the incoming regime than a real meaningful attempt at giving the people a voice.
Having said that however, what really did help Hong Kong become such a success was simply that it had a respected rule of law in place and property rights that people trusted to not change from week to week.
Dodger.
Oct 5, 2009 15:19
  • BOBERT
This debate was originally about whether India or China would reach superpower status first. It was about the relative merits of communism and democracy for the advancement of national economies. Marrie was insinuating that Hong Kongs rapid development in the last 50 years was due to communism.

Of course you are factually correct Dodger. Prior to 1999 Hong Kong was, as you say, a British colony and not a democracy. However it was most definately not communist either. It was controlled by a democratically elected government, Britain. It was controlled by the rule of law and international financiers were comfortable investing there. Therefore I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Kong Kong was ruled by a democracy prior to 1999.
Oct 5, 2009 17:45
  • MARRIE
I just present an comparable sample - HK agasinst India (or specifically Bombay), both places used to be under British rule.

Bobert, HK ecomony did get standstill for a while after 1997 for various reasons including the distrust of communist gov. However, open your eyes and take a look at the facts, bunches and bunches of elites hongkongnese back to HK, mainland for seeking opportunities, and those Chinese from TaiWan and Singorpore follow the suite.
Oct 5, 2009 18:17
  • BOBERT
My eyes are wide open Marrie. It is you who has tunnel vision and is blind to the big picture. The fact that SOME expatriot Chinese return to their homeland is not proof that China is on a pathway to superpower status. They left because there were better opportunities elsewhere, but China is still their home. They return for many reasons, one of which is the tax incentives currently being offered. International businessmen and global financiers will always follow the money. National economies ebb and flow. For now, China is the place to be. For now!

There is no doubt Hong Kong (and mainland China) have had rapid growth. To date probably more rapid than Indias. However, my argument has nothing to do with the progress so far.The original question was which country, if either, will attain superpower status first. My contention is that Chinas development is unsustainable under it's present regime and India, through democratic rule, will outstrip China in the long run.
Last edited by BOBERT: Oct 5, 2009 18:26
Oct 6, 2009 00:36
  • RAKESHSEMWAL
[quote=MARRIE,377950]I just present an comparable sample - HK agasinst India (or specifically Bombay), both places used to be under British rule.

I think your comparison is unfair, HK was an English colony till 99 whereas as Bombay was freed in 47 from brit with rest of India. This means HK was having luxury of British support for 50more years than of Bombay.
HK is city country whereas as Bombay is a city of a country and don’t have the luxury of just earn and eat but it has to feed lot of other people living on countryside India, on other hand HK was just need to earn and eat or invest on itself otherwise

Page 2 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Will India overtake China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code