Menu
To visit Datong - Yes or No?
Dec 7, 2004 18:28
  • MANDG
Hi: I have hear it is difficult to get a train from Datong to Xi'an. Is this true?
We have 6 nights Beijing and want to know if the sights at Datong (hanging monastry etc) are worth any problems with continuing on to Xi'an.
If we took an o/night train would we have enough time in one day to see sights?
What is a good place to stay at please?
Please reply soon as we need to make arrangements.
With thanks
G
Dec 8, 2004 08:41
  • ANTHEA
Hi!
I think Datong worth your visit is you are a person interested in historical sites. The two highlights there Yungang Grottoes and the Hnaging Monastery are indeed fantastic.

Maybe stay in Datong for a night is necessary, since the two sites will need at least a whole day to visit. Take a train from Beijing to Datong will need about 6 hours, then Datong to Xian may need 17 hours, a rather long journey, right?
Dec 8, 2004 10:52
Train No. 1674/1675 From Baotou to Xi'an.
Arrives Dadong 16:11 leaves 16:31
Arrives Xi'an 9:51 Next day.
Price hard seat 65Yuan Sleep berth 136 yuan
Dec 8, 2004 11:13
  • DAISY
What you meant is whether it is difficult to get the train ticket in Datong or not, right? I think is will be harder for you if you want to get that in the Station by yourself. No English service and English sign. If you can speak Chinese, there wouldn't exsis any problem. You should/ can sk help from the hotel where you will live. More easy and efficient! They would take RMB5 as the service charge.
Dec 8, 2004 11:19
  • DAISY
And the Hanging Monastery is necessary I think. You will never see and find anyone like this if you want to exclude it out of your arrangement. It can be said as the great wonder that the ancient Chinese can build such a compact and marvellous temple in the gap of the mountain. And this temple still stand firmly after so many years weathering. It really is a must see!
You will love it, I bet!
Have a great trip^_^
Feb 9, 2005 04:24
  • ELCABRON
Datong is certainly worth a visit!
I could not speak one chinese word, but there was no problem to get the train tickets from Datong to Xian (hardsleeper, 130 RMB)

the highlight are the Yungong Caves, a world heritage with more than 50.000 buddha statues from a few centimeters to more than 17 meters of height. It is very close to the city, about 20 minutes by bus. The place was built in the days when China adopted the Buddhism from India. You can see the change from sharp cut faces with long noses and sari clothes of the oldest statues to round faces with short noses, Chinese clothes and typical eyes of the newest statues in these caves.

In the city center I also visited the Shanhua temple, which I enjoyed very much. It is also worth a short visit.

But there is much more to see:

When you get to Datong you have to see the Hanging Monastery. I love it, but you need one day for the Hanging Monastery (Xuangong Si) because it is about 70 km outside of Datong. But it? awesome! Like a little bird nest hanging on the cliffs.

All these places are great, but Datong, the city itself is one of the worst places I have seen in China. Even though I could not find it in official statistics of air pollution, I am sure it is the winner. The whole city is black because of coal dust. So, the historical sights are fascinating, but as soon as you are done with that, leave the city!
Post a Reply to: To visit Datong - Yes or No?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code