Menu
Are Chinese people confident?
Sep 10, 2007 20:21
  • ICEBLUE
CHYNAGYRL ,

The scarcity of confidence stems from confucianism. At this point, I totally agree. In Chinese feudal society, Confucianism highlights the "The Doctrine of Golden Mean", which advocates people to be moderate and reserved, not to show too much knowledge or talents in public. Otherwise, it would be regarded as arrogance.

"Americans in particular smile more than Chinese people,Chinese people do not smile as much"

As for this point, I hold a different attitude. As far as I know, most Chinese do have a broad smile. Personally, I have a big smile quite often. Although Chinese people has encountered many hardships in the long history, the has-been bitterness can not hinder their smiling.
Sep 10, 2007 23:31
  • GRIZ326
I agree with ICEBLUE, that the Chinese smile broadly. To me - it is one of the most endearing qualities of the Chinese people is that after so much difficulty they are still happy and friendly.

I have great faith that the Chinese people are ready to emerge like a larva from a cacoon and show themselves to be a beautiful butterflies. It may take a few more years, but the Chinese will soon demonstrate their confidence. I only hope that the government and the people are in sync with each other.

I have no doubts in the strength of the Chinese people.
Sep 11, 2007 06:11
  • DODGER
A friend of mine fromTianjin sent his daughter to a school in Sydney some years ago. She was a little confused by the different attitude between the relationship between the teacher and the student. She was able to question the teacher for the first time.
She did pass all of her exams with the highest marks and went on to bigger things overseas.
But I think that the added confidence that she was able to learn gave her greater strength.
Dodger.
Sep 11, 2007 20:48
  • MAY001
People in big cities smile less than those who in countryside or smaller cities, I believe. To me, metropolis is awful.
Sep 11, 2007 21:52
  • SUNNYDREAM
QUOTE:
"She did pass all of her exams with the highest marks and went on to bigger things overseas."

I have heard that Chinese students did very well in exams. If you are in a mixed-nationals class. It is common to see that Chinese students got the highest score, but the reality is that they still lake confidence. The sequence is that Chinese students are usually be neglected. Probably, their talents and creativity would be compromised by their low confidence.
Sep 13, 2007 04:36
  • ZOEY
Where does the low confidence of Chinese students originate from? In a nation with a huge popuilation of 1.3 billion, its super size is enough to overshadow else parts of the world. The contributory factors for the low confidence may vary. The strong belief in confucianism actlly negativelly influenced the mindset of Chinese nationals.
Confucianism advocates people to be humble and modest. This old tradition has still shaped Chinese ways of thinking. Right, it takes time to achieve a fundamental shift.
Sep 19, 2007 04:53
  • YVONNE
It is a really time-consuming project to change the mentality of "hiding the blaze". The reticence has been inherited from one generation to another. The people are still upholding the Doctrin of Golden Means.
Nov 19, 2007 21:18
GUEST122 "Hiding the blaze' is a virtue of Chinese. Being arrogant is the worst thing. BTW,"hiding the blaze' is not equal to "being unconfident. Modesty has rooted in Chinese national characters.
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Are Chinese people confident?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code